Friday, May 20, 2016

The Squeaky Shoe and Cheesesteak Sandwiches


I have a pair of work shoes that are very comfortable and only about 2 years old, but not really pretty.  They look like "grandma" shoes; wide toe, thick cushy soles, you know the kind of thing a grandma that needs orthopedics would wear.  I loved them, especially when I worked and have to stand all day.  For some reason I replaced them.  So, there they sat, on my shoe shelf, not getting worn.

I noticed them yesterday, sitting there gathering dust.  I decided that I would wear them, find out what was wrong with them (I forgot they squeaked), and either fix it or get rid of them.  I slipped them on, oh so comfortable, and went to work.  About 20 minutes into the day they warmed up and started to squeak.  Oh, that's right, they squeak.  I need to get rid of these, they are driving me nuts!

It was a cold rainy day, so instead of walking outside at lunch I walked in the basement of my building.  Back and forth laps with my squeaky shoe.  At one point I had to adjust the lift in my shoe (I need one after my hip surgery...what was I saying about grandma's with orthopedics?) so I stopped,  pulled off my shoe, adjusted the lift, put my shoe back on and kept walking.  About 12 steps later something felt weird.  I looked down and there was this brown something sticking out of the top of my shoe.  I stopped, pulled off my shoe, and pulled out the cardboard insert that shoe manufactures put in shoes so they retain their shapes in the shoe boxes.  I had been wearing those shoes for almost two years with that damn cardboard insert.  I shook my head at myself, put my shoe back on and continued with my laps...the squeak stopped.  It was the cardboard against the shoe when I walked.

I told my son this story on the way home from the greenhouse.  He laughed at me and said I would have something to write in my blog.
"No, I have to stop telling everyone all the stupid things I do.  People are going to start thinking I'm an idiot."
"No mom, anyone reading your blog already knows that."

Nice.

So dinner is one area I usually don't look like an idiot.  Yes, I've had my kitchen mishaps, but for the most part I end up feeding my family pretty well.  We had these sandwiches for dinner that night.  We have a wok grill pan and whipped them up outside.  You can also cook them in the house, just cook the meat in batches so they fry and not steam in a full pan.  Yes, I might be an idiot, but at least I am an idiot that can cook.

Cheesesteak Sandwiches
Sandra Lee Grilling

1 1/2 pounds beef top round steak
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
2 bell peppers, sliced thinly
1 large onion, sliced thinly
1/4 cup olive oil
3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. onion soup mix
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp. minced garlic
4 sandwich rolls
4 sliced provolone cheese

Freeze steak for 15 minutes, this makes slicing easier.
In a ziplock bag, place peppers, onion, and mushrooms.
Slice steak very thinly and place in a separate ziplock bag.

 Mix together olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, onion soup mix and garlic powder.  Pour half the marinade in each of the ziplock bags.  Marinate in refrigerator for 1-3 hours.

In a bowl, combine mayonnaise and minced garlic.  Set aside in refrigerator until needed.  Set up grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat.  Oil grill wok when ready to start cooking.

Remove vegetables and steak from marinades; discard extra marinades.  Place vegetables in grill wok and cook for 10-15 minutes or until just tender.  Remove to plate and cover with foil to keep warm.  Grill steak 3-5 minutes or until cooked through, turning once.  Remove to plate and cover with foil to keep warm.

Grill sandwich rolls until insides are toasted.  Spread  with garlic-mayonnaise mixture.  Fill rolls with steak, cheese, and vegetables.  Place sandwiches on grill and cover.  Cook 2-4 minutes or until cheese has melted.



1 year ago:   Clams
2 years ago:  Fresh Cheese and Bacon Wrapped Corn on the Grill
3 years ago:  Butterfinger Martini
4 years ago:  Lemon Meringue Pie and the Cookbook Problem

May 20, 2016   Sunrise 4:09 am  Sunset 11:29 pm  Temp H 62/ L 48°F


5 comments:

  1. Love your stories and recipes. I am 75 and have my moments like this more often than I use to. I have experienced Alaska only once and would love to see more,more,more. Keep up the good blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you make it back here and see more of our beautiful state.
      Toni

      Delete
  2. What is a 'grill wok' Toni? I'm not sure if I'm having an international lost-in-translation episode, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a pan I bought at the local grocery store in the barbecue section. It is a square pan with holes in it (I tried to upload a picture, but I'm not smart enough to figure it out). Any pan that can go on your grill would work, or just do it on your stove, I've done that before too.

      Delete
    2. I just added the pictures to the post.

      Delete

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.