Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Cheesecake filled Strawberry Muffins

I just finished my last trip for work for this season.  It was to Houston and it was a quick turn around.  I flew down on Sunday, worked Monday and Tuesday morning, and flew home Tuesday afternoon.  (Just for the record, Dave LOVES to pick me up at 2:00 am.)

Well, the trip down wasn't so bad; 3 1/2 hours to Seattle, 4 1/2 hours to Houston.  The trip home, on the other hand, was a little longer.  First I flew from Houston to Minneapolis, in a small commuter plane (3 1/2 hours), then from Minneapolis to Seattle (3 1/2 hours) and then Seattle to Fairbanks (3 1/2 hours), so with lay overs and everything it took a whopping 14 1/2 hours to get home!  I was tired, I was grumpy, and I decided I must have done something to really piss off our travel guy.

To make up for what ever terrible wrong I did, I will bake for him, a lot, before he has to start working on my fall travel schedule, and perhaps this won't happen again.  I started with these filled muffins.  Fresh strawberries, sweetened cream cheese filling, warm from the oven...it doesn't get any better.  He liked them so much he asked for the recipe.  I think it was a good start.


O.K., so I do have to say in his defense, I always ask for the cheapest flights possible...but really?


Cheesecake filled Fresh Strawberry Muffins
adapted from Perfect Muffins

2 cups self rising flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup strawberry jam, plus extra (optional)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 oz. cream cheese
2 Tbsp. granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 400°F.  Grease or line 12 muffin cups.

In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and 2 Tbsp. sugar until smooth.

In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour.  Stir in the granulated sugar.  With a paper towel gently wipe the chopped strawberry pieces to soak up excess juice and prevent it from coloring the batter.  Add the strawberry pieces to the dry ingredients.  Make a well in the center.

In a small mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk, butter, 1/4 ups jam, and vanilla.  Add all at once to the flour mixture and stir until just moistened (the bater will be lumpy).

Spoon two thirds of the batter into the prepared muffin cups, distributing it evenly.  Place a small scoop of cream cheese in the center of each cup and top with a little extra jam, if desired.  Cover with the remaining batter.

Bake until the muffins are golden brown and a wooden skewer or toothpick inserted into cake part of one muffin comes out clean, 25-30 minutes.  Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 5 minutes.  Serve warm.
Random picture of Lily and Riley, on the deck, in the sun, enjoying life.
3 years ago:   Light Pina Colada

June 14, 2016  Sunrise 3:01 am  Sunset 12:41 am  Temp. H 63/ L 43°F







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.