Monday, June 20, 2016

Blueberry, Peach Pie


The Baby Boy is in big trouble.  The rule at our house is; if you use the last of something, you write it on the shopping list.  That way we always have what we need when we need it.  I was looking for something in the pantry on Sunday and noticed all the cans of pineapple juice were gone.  BBoy likes to drink them, no worries, and I like to have them on hand for recipes, but he drank the last two and didn't write it on the shopping list.  I didn't really think much about it, wrote 'pineapple juice' on the shopping list and went about my business.

Well, it was Sunday, Father's Day, and our family dinner turned into dinner for 12.  I was hustling about getting dinner done and was about to make a pie for dessert.  I usually do a combination of tapioca and corn starch in my peach pies, but when I went to grab the cornstarch, it was all gone.  I went to the pantry, convinced the new one must be on the shelf, because who runs out of cornstarch? Um, I do apparently.  NO cornstarch in the pantry either.

I couldn't figure out what happened to the cornstarch until I remembered that the BBoy had made his Sweet Garlic Chili Chicken a few weeks ago and that uses a bit of cornstarch and HE DIDN'T WRITE IT ON THE SHOPPING LIST. I was making pie for 12 people and I didn't have cornstarch or time to head to the store to get more.  So I just doubled the tapioca and hoped for the best.

The pie turned out fine, the BBoy is getting a ration of harassment for a long time about this, and I'm getting the last piece of pie.

Blueberry Peach Pie

Pie crust for a double crust pie, your favorite recipe or store bought
6 cups fresh peaches
2 cups blueberries
4 Tbsp. tapioca
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp.  kosher salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
juice of 1 lemon

Preheat oven to 400°
Peel and slice peaches, juice a large lemon and add juice to peaches, stir to combine.
In a small bowl, mix tapioca, sugar, salt and cinnamon together.  Pour over peaches and mix well. Let sit for about 15 minutes.

In the meantime, prep your crust.  Line a deep dish pie plate with the bottom crust.

Add blueberries to peach mixture, stirring carefully.  Pour filling into bottom crust, top with second crust, cut steam vents in top and bake for 30-40 minutes until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling.  If edges of crust begin to brown too much, cover with foil.
Enjoy.

2 years ago:   Grilled Chicken and Zucchinni noodles and the Missed Box Jump
3 years ago:   Grilled Shrimp Salad and Making a Pass at the Neighbor.
4 years ago:   Cheater French Onion Soup and My 'New" Truck


June 20, 2016  Sunrise 2:58 am  Sunset 1:53 am  Temp. H 63/ L 52°F
Happy Solstice!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.