Thursday, August 31, 2017

Breakfast Bake

Mornings have been kind of tough. I used to wake up with a bounce and hop out of bed around 5:00. I've gotten to where I sleep until 6:00 and then drag myself out of bed. With the changes I've made in my diet, I have recovered some, but I am not bounding out of bed, or exercising consistently in the morning yet either. One thing I do to help myself is have breakfast ready so I can just warm it up at home or (if I'm running really late) throw it in my lunch box and eat it once I get to work.

I usually have the same thing for breakfast every morning for a week. I'll fix something on Sunday, portion it out, and have breakfast ready to go all week long. This is one of my favorites, cheese, eggs, taco meat, sour cream and guacamole on top, you just can't go wrong. Dave doesn't eat breakfast, and that is just fine with me because then I don't have to share!



Taco Breakfast Bake


2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1/2 lb. 80% lean ground beef (or moose)
1/2 cup onions
2 Tbsp. Taco Seasoning
1/4 cup tomato sauce
8 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup bone both or beef broth
3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack or sharp cheddar cheese
1 oz. cream cheese
1 tsp. finely chopped garlic
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper

Optional Toppings:
salsa
sour cream
guacamole

Preheat oven to 350˚F.
In a large oven-safe skillet, heat butter over medium heat.  Add the ground beef, onions, and taco seasoning and cook until the beef is cooked all the way through and the onions are translucent, about 7 minutes.  Add the tomato sauce and stir well to combine.

In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, broth, cheeses, garlic, cilantro, salt and pepper.

Add the egg mixture to the beef mixture and stir to combine.  Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, until the eggs are just slightly set, stirring continuously.

Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 27 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked through in the center.  Remove from the oven and let rest for 3 minutes, then slice and serve.  If desired, garnish with salsa, sour cream and/or guacamole.
makes 6 servings

To prepare for the week, cool and slice into servings.  Put each piece in a microwave safe container and refrigerate.

1 year ago:    Italian Pine Nut and Apricot Cake and the Busy Squirrel
3 years ago:   Baked Oatmeal
5 years ago:  Banana Crunch Muffins and Routines

August 31, 2017     Sunrise 6:29 am Sunset 9:10 pm   Temp. H 68 /L 44 ˚F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.