Thursday, September 7, 2017

911 call


My assistant moved to Saudi Arabia and has left me on my own. That is a very dangerous thing. I had to schedule a pick-up with Fed Ex for a job fair and she left very detailed instruction and the phone number, it is a 1-800 number. Our building requires that you dial a 9 to get an out and a 1 for long distance. So, I dialed a 9 then a 1 then looked at the phone number left for me and dialed 1-800 and the phone started to ring, I had done something wrong so I hung up.

I must have forgotten the 1 for long distance, so I was very careful the second time I dialed. I dialed 9 for the outside line, 1 for long distance and looked at the number and dialed 1-800 and the phone started to ring again. I hung up and looked at the number trying to figure out what I was doing wrong when my phone rang.

"This is Carl at emergency services and I wanted to check on you and make sure everyone is all right over there."
"What?" was all I could stammer.
"Someone from this number called us twice, and I just wanted to check on you," Carl carefully said.
"Oh my, I'm so sorry..." and I told him what I had done, 9-1-1-800.

I was dialing 911. Really? I was so preoccupied trying to call Fed Ex and schedule a pick up for the first time, I wasn't attending to what I was doing and that was dialing 1 two times for the long distance number. I apologized,  explained that I was really an idiot, and apologized again. He chuckled and said to be careful with those extra 1's.

Well, I was able to order the pick up and just tried to stay away from my phone for the rest of the day. I figured I needed to send a treat his way to say sorry (again), and thanks for being there if I ever do need help. I made these and I hope it helps him forgive and forget.

Snicker Bar Cookies


Snicker Bar Cookies
adapted from Celebrating Cookies

1 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 bag mini unwrapped snickers, cut in quarters, or two bars cut in chunks
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375˚F.  

In a large bowl, cream butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla until fluffy.  In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt.  Add to creamed mixture, mixing thoroughly.

Place oats in a blender or food processor and process until the texture of coarse meal.  Stir oats into dough with snickers bar pieces and chocolate chips.  Cover and freeze 1 hour (I scoop dough balls at this point and freeze.  Then I take out how many cookies I want to bake and put the rest in a ziplock bag.)

Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place on un-greased baking sheets.  Bake for 9-12 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges.  Cool cookies slightly on baking sheets; transfer to wire racks to cool.
Makes about 6 dozen cookies

1 year ago:    Grandma's 100 birthday
5 years ago:   Frost and Bean Soup

September 7, 2017  Sunrise 6:50 am  Sunset 8:45 pm  Temp. H 50/ L 46˚F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.