Thursday, January 4, 2018

Pork Dust


With this new way of eating I have had to embrace pork dust.  It isn't as magical as fairy dust, but it has done me some good.  Pork dust is just plain chicharrones ground to a powder.  If you don't think about what they are, they are really good, and take the place of bread crumbs for so many things!  I use them for "breading" when I make minute steaks, chicken, or fish sticks, and they are the crunchy topping to this Halibut Olympia we have on the regular.  I'm going to try the spicy chicharrones ground and used as a coating for chicken wings.

I have gotten into the habit of buying a couple bags, grinding them all in my food processor, and keeping them in my freezer so I always have a ready supply.  If you are going low carb, this is the thing to try!

These chips are the perfect gateway recipe.  You'll never know what they are made of, they are crunchy, a little salty, and a good substitute for tortilla chips (something I can't have in my house or I'll eat the whole bag and not share).  I made a batch when I made some spicy pork tinga (recipe to come) and used it as a topping for my  chips.  It was a delicious, low carb dinner that really felt like such a treat!



I'm planning on making a double batch and having them for dips at our SuperBowl party in February.
These will be so good with artichoke-crab dip or spicy cheese dip.
Chips, pork, avocado, radishes, queso fresco, and cilantro...
the perfect bite.
This recipe makes 2 servings, but I ate most of them myself.  I had a couple left over that I crumbled and put on my salad for lunch the next day.  It was delicious.

It is a good thing they are easy and quick to make.  I know I'll be making them on a regular basis.  I might even have to take a little baggie of them with me when we go to our favorite Mexican place across the street and have them with the hot queso.  Tortilla chips are no longer a problem.

Pork Rind Chips
adapted from KetoConnect online

1.5 oz. pork rinds
3 oz. Queso Fresco 
2 Tsp. taco seasoning, homemade or store bought

Preheat oven to 450°F, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Break cheese up in chunks and add to food processor, process to break up into small pieces.  Add pork rinds, process until pork rinds and cheese are combined.  Add seasonings and process until well combined.

Pour onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and pat into a rectangle.  Keep the mixture about 1/8-1/4 inch thick, they tend to break if they get too thin.

Bake for 5 minutes.  Remove from oven and cut into desired shapes ( I cut long strips, then made triangles).  Spread out a little to separate chips.  

Reduce heat in oven to 400°F.  Bake chips for 8-10 minutes more, watching carefully so they don't get too browned (or burned).  Cool.
Makes 2 servings

Top with your favorite toppings, or use to dip into your favorite dips.  Enjoy.

5 years ago:  Dog Sledding

January 4, 2018   Sunrise 10:49 am  Sunset 3:02 pm   Temp H 11/ L 7°F







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.