Tuesday, January 23, 2018

My Birthday and Brownies with Ice Cream

Where did the week go?  This post is a week late, I've been struggling with uploading photos onto blogger, I don't know what changed but suddenly I can't add photos.  I brought my work computer home and was able to add some pictures, not I just need to figure out what is going on with my home computer (several people are having this problem, it seems.  I found out when I googled how to fix this problem).  So, I've just got a little catching up to do.

My birthday was last week two weeks ago. Between all the cards, phone calls, Facebook wishes, and gifts, I feel pretty special. Now, I celebrate my birthday month, so if you want to wish me a happy birthday you still have about three two weeks to get it done.

On my day, I had flowers delivered from some teachers I used to work with.  They sent along a very sweet card that had me crying in my office.  Dave took me to my favorite restaurant for dinner. It was a wonderful way to end a cold week here in Fairbanks.  We had a great dinner and were asleep by 9:00, a total win.

On Saturday, friends came over for dinner, and to learn how to play cribbage.  My grandpa Stejer always said a man wasn't worth marrying if he didn't know how to play cribbage (Good thing Dave knows how or obviously, it would have been a deal breaker).  They brought me the perfect gift for our summer camping.  Bruce makes fly rods and he decorated these plastic champagne glasses with Green Bay colors for me.  No more plastic water cups for my camping champagne!

Sunday we had family dinner, and I got more presents!  I was really spoiled and I'm looking forward to enjoying all my treats.

On Saturday, I made dessert of brownies and ice cream.  Bruce has to be dairy free so I made Keto ice cream with MCT oil and made brownies in these cute little cast iron skillets.  Each person got their own skillet with a scoop of ice cream on top.  They were rich and decadent.
I find Keto "ice cream" to get very firm when I make it,
 so I scoop in individual portions and place in a cupcake paper to
freeze.  Then, when I want ice cream I can pull one serving out of
the freezer and let it soften about 15 minutes before serving.

At work the office threw me a little birthday party, with keto friendly treats and all!  I was really surprised.

The best present I got was on last Thursday when I went for my 6 month mammogram and all was clear.  I only have one side now to check so I asked if they would only charge me 1/2 the price.  My niece was in the next room waiting for her's and heard me. She had to text me so we could laugh together in our separate rooms.
So, this is going to be my regular reminder: Go get your girls squished.

I will continue to celebrate my birthday month with lots of Keto treats and just a little champagne.  After all a girl doesn't celebrate being 29 for the 27th time every year.

Keto brownies
Quick and Easy Ketogenic Cooking, Maria Emmerich

1/2 cup unsalted butter or coconut oil if dairy free
1 cup unsweetened coca powder
1 cup Swerve confectioners'-style sweetener or equivalent amount of powdered erythritol
4 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. fine sea salt

Preheat the oven to 325°F.  Line an 8x4 inch loaf pan with parchment paper and grease well.

In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the batter until smooth.  Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Allow the brownies to cool.

Single serving option: butter a 4-ounce ramekin or skillet and fill two-thirds full with batter.  Bake for 10-13 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Allow to cool slightly before topping with ice cream, or cool completely and frost with your favorite frosting.

3 years ago:   Walnut and Blue Cheese Poached Pears
5 years ago:   Vodka Martini for a Hard Week

January 23, 2018   Sunrise 10:03 am  Sunset 4:02 pm  Temp. H -19/ L -23°F


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.