Monday, January 21, 2019

Coconut Custard Pie and the Vet Visit


Mooree had a vet visit, he has a funny spot on his foot.  It was his first visit since his initial puppy check up when we got him.  He was very happy to jump into the back of the car but he laid down under the cover in the back and cried the whole way there.  Then, once there he tried to hide under me the whole time.  I've never seen him so timid!  The bulky 87 pound dog  trying to hide under my chair.

Then, at home, he was so needy!  He had to be touching me or Dave the whole night.  At one point I turned around and found this:
You can see that Dave is thrilled!

I guess we have to remember that Mooree is really still just a 7 month old puppy, no matter how big he is.  We gave his some extra cuddle time...on the floor...and he seemed to feel better.

One of Mooree's favorite things is to eat the Christmas ornaments.  I have a lot that are hand made, fabric or wood.  On more than one occasion I have found something like this on the floor:
Then I spent the next couple of hours looking at the tree and trying to remember what was attached to this last piece of ornament I found.  The saddest one was the little cross stitch I made for the curly haired boy for his first Christmas - 30 years ago.

Well, keeping up with Mooree takes a lot of energy, and patience. So I figure I deserve a daily treat.  I usually make something on the weekend and it lasts me the week.  Dave doesn't have a sweet tooth, so what ever dessert type thing I make lasts.  I made this coconut custard pie, and it was good (next time I won't use the convection setting on my oven - it over browns the coconut on top), but when I added a little sugar free chocolate syrup to the top, it was wonderful!  I don't think the pie is going to last the week.

Coconut Custard Pie

1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 powdered Swerve or your choice of sweetener
1 cup full-fat coconut milk (the kind from the can)
4 large eggs
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 1/4 cups unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
3 Tbsp. coconut flour or 1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350˚ ( I don't suggest the convection setting if you have the choice).  Butter or spray a 9-inch pie pan.

Place the cream, sweetener, coconut milk, eggs and melted butter in a blender and blend until well combined.  Add 1 cup of the shredded coconut, coconut (almond) flour, baking powder, vanilla extract and salt.  Blend again.

Pour the mixture into the prepared pie pan.  Sprinkle with remaining  shredded coconut.  Bake for 30-45 minutes, until the edges are golden and the center is slightly soft in the middle. 

Remove from the oven and let cool.  Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight before serving. 

January 21, 2019  Sunrise 10:10 am  Sunset 3:54pm  Temp. H -13/ L -16˚F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.