Wednesday, February 6, 2019

The loss of the favorite chapstick


I am having a major problem right now.  It is bad, it is really bad.

Starting last November, I went to resupply myself with my favorite chapstick (I use a lot of chapstick because it is so dry in Fairbanks).  I hopped over to the cosmetic section for my favorite chapstick and they were out.  That happens sometimes so I made a note to check next time I went grocery shopping.  Well, they never got any in stock and I just kept checking.

We went to Seattle to see Gman and his people a couple weeks ago and I checked at the store there.  There was a sign - DISCONTINUED-

What? So I googled it.  Yep, Dr. Pepper Lipsmakers are no longer manufactured in the U.S.  The company sold and Dr. Pepper is not available, except on Amazon for $14.00 a tube.

Well, I'm too cheap to pay that so I have to find a different chapstick to use. I don't want to, I like the Dr. Pepper chapstick and it has color to it so I can pretend it looks good enough to replace lipstick.  I always feel dressed when I throw on some mascara and slap on a little Dr. Pepper chapstick.  Now what am I going to do?

So I need some advice on chapstick substitutes.  And while I wait to hear from you I'm going to make these oven fried shrimp.

Dave loves deep fried shrimp. He can eat them, but I feel left out.  So I made some Toni safe oven fried shrimp, and I think they are better than the ones Dave eats.  He even agreed that these were good, and not just "good for a substitute kind of thing."  Now, shrimp isn't my favorite, but people look at you weird if you eat the spicy cocktail sauce by the spoonful, so I make these to eat the cocktail sauce!

Keto Oven Fried Shrimp

1/2 pound shrimp
1 egg, beaten with a teaspoon on water
1/4 cup finely ground pork rinds
1/4 cup grated parmesan
1/8-1/4 tsp. chili powder or several drops of your favorite hot sauce (like Tabasco)
cooking spray, I use avocado oil spray

Preheat oven to 400°F

Using cooking spray, coat a wire rack that has been placed on a baking sheet.

Place beaten egg in a bowl and mix pork rinds, parmesan and chili powder and place in a bowl.

Butterfly shrimp, cut along the back, remove the vein and continue cutting almost all the way through.  Open and slightly flatten with your hand.  Dry with a paper towel. 

Dip shrimp in egg, turn over to coat both sides, let extra drain off them dredge in pork rind-cheese mixture.  Place on prepared wire rack.

Bake until golden brown, 6-10 minutes, turning once about 4 minutes into cooking.

Serve with lots of cocktail sauce.

1 year ago:    Keto Chocolate Chip Cookies and the Fake Boob
3 years ago:  Beef Pot Pies and Getting Ready for Travel Season
5 years ago:  Avoiding Late Dinners and Pork Chops with Chick Pea Mash

February 6, 2019  Sunrise 9:20 am  Sunset 4:50 pm  Temp. H 14/ L 5°F

1 comment:

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.