Monday, February 4, 2019

Turmeric Milk or Golden Milk and the Sore Foot - Drink of the Week


I have a new body part that is failing. It started last August and who knew the little band of tissue called your plantar fascia, that connects your heel to your toes, could make like so miserable. I stopped walking at lunch, I started sitting at my desk, I put my foot up at night, nothing was working. So, I went to a doctor to see what could be done.

I liked him immediately because he gave me this prescription:
Which was awesome and I followed his directions right away with several pairs. But then he started to change my mind because he said 1) No barefoot walking, wear these lovely sandals in the house, wear these special insoles in all my shoes, and then he said I needed a shot in my foot, well we talked about it and I said I was over this foot stuff so do the shot and he did it and I yelled cuss words, so I don't like him now.  

I had to send cookies and an apology note that said, "I'm sorry for yelling cuss words in your office."

Well, the shot didn't work and I'm not doing that again, so it is ice, Motrin and no barefeet and hope it heals or at least becomes bearable.  I've also started drinking turmeric milk every evening.

Now, one of my favorite food stands in Fairbanks, Just The Tips- Boreal Infused Eats + Tea, has keto options and she makes a delicious turmeric milk.  I stop by there every chance I get for a keto treat and the turmeric milk sweetened with stevia.  But, I am stuck in my office a lot and don't get by there as often as I would like. Turmeric can have a huge impact on inflammation and has shown some promise in helping to prevent and/or treat some cancers (breast cancer included).  Now, I am currently cancer free, and have a recient mammogram to prove it,  but I am always looking for ways to continue that trend.  So, turmeric milk nightly is a 1) delicious, 2)anti-inflammatory 3) possibly a  staying cancer-free supporting drink!  
Masking tape label, because I'm fancy like that

And because I'm lazy, I make a batch of the turmeric paste and just have to warm my coconut milk and add a big tablespoon of the paste, stir and enjoy.  You can use any type of milk you like; almond, coconut, cow, goat, cashew...right now I am loving home made coconut milk.  
Again with the fancy labels.

Home Made Coconut Milk

2 cups shredded or flaked unsweetened coconut
4 cups water

Measure 2 cups of coconut flakes into blender.  Boil water and pour 4 cups of very hot water over coconut.  Let sit for 15-20 minutes.  Blend for 2 minutes, strain through a cheesecloth squeezing all the liquid out of the solids left behind.  Store covered in refrigerator for up to 5 days.

Turmeric Paste
1/2 cup turmeric
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
5 Tbsp. coconut oil
4 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp. ground ginger
 2-3 Tbsp. stevia sweetened maple syrup ( I like Lakanto brand), or sweetener of choice

In a small saucepan mix turmeric, pepper and water together.  Cook over medium-low heat for 5-7 minutes, it will make a very thick paste.  Remove from heat and add coconut oil, cinnamon, ginger and sweetener, mix well.  Store in refrigerator.  

To make Turmeric Milk
Heat one cup coconut milk
add 1 full tablespoon turmeric paste, stir until dissolved.  Enjoy.

Now, just a word to the wise, turmeric stains EVERYTHING, your counter, the measuring spoon if it is plastic, your shirt when you spill it, and your mittens when you pick one up at your favorite food hut.  BE CAREFUL and store in a glass jar or plastic you don't care if it gets stained.  I use the same plastic measuring spoon and it drives my husband crazy now that it is permanently stained orange.
That orange color will stain!  Be careful

1 year ago:    New Dishes

February 4, 2019  Sunrise 9:26am  Sunset 4:43pm  Temp H 11/ L -1°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.