Friday, August 14, 2020

Truck Show



Dave has been spending every free minute on Grandpa's Truck.  Our oldest son has come over to help, my brother-in-law comes over, even the neighbor boys will see Dave working and call out and see if he needs help.  Since all the easy jobs are done, I'm pretty worthless, but I do what ever task Dave sets out for me.  Dave has really done the lion's share of the work on this.

A couple weekends ago, there was an antique car show at Chatanika Lodge about 30 miles outside of Fairbanks.  The truck was almost done, still some work to do, but street legal (I drove it to the grocery store once) and Dave wanted to take it to the show.  We trailered the truck (Some pretty steep hills to get there), bought a couple cases of canned food (the entry price, it was an event to support the Fairbanks Food Bank), loaded up the camper and off we went.  

We dropped the truck off at Chatanika Lodge and then went up to the Chatanika camp ground and parked the motorhome for the weekend.  On Saturday morning we went back to the Lodge and attended the car show.  It was a very fun day looking at all the antique cars, talking about what we did, what we still have to do, struggles with the engine, the story of my Great Grandpa buying the truck new in 1950 and then giving it to my Grandpa Tony and now I have it, how Dave surprised me with the truck, and what color we are going to paint it...someday (right now it is a beautiful primer grey).

At the end of the afternoon there are awards for things like, best interior, best antique, best hot rod, and WE won BEST TRUCK! It was very exciting, and Dave got a giant trophy to display in the garage!  

My truck, pictures of my grandpa, and Dave's trophy.
My grandpa Tony, I don't know if this is his truck
he is sitting on.

My Grandpa and Grandma McFadden, this
is how I remember them.
Dave taking a break after working on the truck.


So, we still have some work to do, but I'm driving it when ever I need to go someplace, Dave has driven it to work a few times too. We've driven it to get ice cream twice this week, I really need to practice shifting that old truck. We will have to park it for the winters, so we are driving it now while we can.  I sure do love my old truck.

5 years ago:   Talkeetna Zipline

August 14, 2020  Sunrise 5:36 am  Sunset 10:11 pm  Temp. H 71/ L 46°F

1 comment:

  1. It's been real, it's been fun ............. but parts of it weren't any fun at all!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.