Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Zucchini Soup


I don't know how this happens.  I check the zucchini, cut all that are ready and move on.  The next day Dave asks why I have a monster zucchini and when am I going to cut it.  It wasn't there yesterday, I checked, it must have grown overnight.

Well, last Friday, I checked the zucchini and gave it all to my neighbor.  At this point I have 16 2-cup bags of shredded zucchini in my freezer and that is more than I'll use this year for bread and in soups, stews and chili.  Monday afternoon, during my break, I went outside and found this:
How did these grow so fast?  They weren't there on Friday.

And a whole basket of small ones, yes, even ones with the
blossoms still attached.  I picked these and then pulled
the plants.  I've over it.

Yes, I'm over zucchini.  I've eaten it grated, fried, pattyed, baked, caked, breaded, chipped, stuffed, spiralized and now souped.

This soup is delicious.  A nice creamy soup to start a meal or a big bowl for lunch.  You can make this up to the point of adding the cream, and freeze it for later.  Add the cream and sour cream when you thaw and reheat it.  I'm making a quadruple batch for the freezer, I have enough zucchini.  I'm going to be happily swimming in zucchini soup for the winter.


Keto Zucchini Soup
1 Tbsp. avocado oil or coconut oil
6 cups chopped zucchini
3 cloves garlic
4 cups chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp. dried thyme]
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup heavy cream

optional toppings:
diced, fried bacon or pancetta
heavy cream, for swirls
parmesan Whisps
extra virgin olive oil

In a medium stock pot, heat avocado oil, add zucchini and cook until softened, about 10 minutes.  Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring so it doesn't burn.  Add chicken broth and dried thyme, bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.

Using an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth.  Alternatively, you can process in a blender with a steam vent covered by a towel, in two batches.  Return to stockpot and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add cream and sour cream and heat through.

Serve in bowls or cups, using a spoon pour heavy cream in a swirl over the top and sprinkle crisped pancetta over the top, or top with cheese Whisps.

1 year ago:    Sugar Free Peanut Butter Truffles and Getting Rained Out.
3 years ago:   Taco Breakfast Bake
7 years ago:   Rhubarb Muffins and the First Fall Frost

August 26, 2020  Sunrise 6:14 am  Sunset 9:28 pm  Temp. H 62/ L 46°F






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.