Monday, April 21, 2014

Carrot Ginger Soup

I was planning our Easter dinner.  I'm on a "start dinner with a soup" kick.  What better soup for Easter than carrot soup?  I thought this would be a delicious start.

My husband asked if I would make the asparagus soup with bacon that I made in March.  "Nope, I'm making carrot soup," I said.

I'm thoughtful and kind like that.

This is a very delicious soup.  Everyone liked it, even my husband.  I'll make that asparagus soup for family dinner this Sunday so he won't miss out.  The Hippy boy even gave some of the left-overs to his friend the Traveling Chick!


Carrot-Ginger Soup
from Cook's Illustrated, May-June 2014

2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2 onions, chopped fine
1/4 cup minced crystalized ginger
1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
salt and pepper
1 tsp. sugar
2 lbs. carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
4 cups water
1 1/2 cups carrot juice
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
greek yogurt
croutons

Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.  Add onions, crystallized ginger, fresh ginger, garlic, 2 teaspoons salt, and sugar; cook, stirring frequently, until onions are softened but not browned, 5-7 minutes.

Increase heat to high; add carrots, water 3/4 cup carrot juice, thype sprigs, and baking soda and bring to simmer.  Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered until carrots are very tender, 20-25 minutes.

Discard thyme sprigs.  Working in batches, process soup in blender until smooth (or use your immersion blender).  Return soup to pot and stir in vinegar and remaining 3/4 cup carrot juice. (Soup can be refrigerated up to 4 days)  Return to simmer over medium heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with greek yogurt and croutons.

1 year ago:   Pickled Red Onions
2 years ago: Orange-Pistachio Wild Rice Salad

April 21, 2014   Daylight 15 hrs. 54 min. 31 sec.   Temp. H 55/ L 30°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.