Monday, April 28, 2014

Teriyaki-Beer Steak Sliders/Salad

On my never ending quest to choke down enjoy a variety of salads (and get into my summer clothes), I came across this recipe that would please me and my "I don't want to eat salad every night" family.  This came to me after the Easter Bunny brought my husband a gift for his grill and he wasn't using it, and the need for adapted recipes for me and the rest of the family.

The Easter Bunny brought this grill wok for my husband.  It sat in the pantry after Easter, not getting any use.  I pulled it out and sliced onions and peppers and grilled them while the meat was cooking.  I usually cook flank steak 7 minutes a side for a total of about 14 minutes, that wasn't enough for the onions so I cooked them while I let the meat rest - about 5 more minutes.  Then I pulled the onions and peppers after I sliced the meat.  Perfect!




I sliced the meat as thin as I could (yes, I had to live through lots of knife jokes since I just cut myself bad enough to get stitches) and then tossed the meat with the onions and peppers.
I served the meat mixture on Hawaiian sweet rolls, but a few changes in spices and they would be great fajitas.

I piled my meat and onion mixture on top of my salad and skipped the rolls that night.  It was delicious.
Dave mentioned how nicely the grill wok worked.  Sometimes the Easter Bunny knows what she is doing.

Teriyaki-Beer Flank Steak
adapted from Sandra Lee Grilling

2 lbs. flank steak (my picture shows a double batch)
1/2 cup beer
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 Tbsp.  (divided) black pepper seasoning mix
1 yellow bell pepper
1 orange bell pepper
2 sweet onions, cut into 1/2 inch slices
3 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
Hawaiian sweet rolls and/or salad greens for serving

In a zip-top bag, combine steak, beer, teriyaki sauce, brown sugar, and 2 Tbsp. seasoning mix.  Squeeze air out of bag and seal.  Gently massage bag to combine ingredients.  Marinate in refrigerator 1 to 8 hours, or overnight (I did this in the morning before work).

In another zip-top bag, combine peppers, onions, oil, vinegar, and the remaining 1 Tbsp. seasoning mix.  Squeeze air of out bag and seal.  Gently massage bag to combine ingredients.  Marinate in refrigerator 1 to 8 hours (I did this in the morning before work).

Set up grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat.  Oil grate when ready to start cooking.

Remove vegetables and steak from marinades; discard marinades.  Place vegetables on hot, oiled grill wok.  Cook 15-20 minutes until vegetables are tender.  Cook flank about 7 minutes per side for medium.  Remove steak from grill, let stand 5 minutes.  Thinly slice steak at an angle against the grain.

To serve, fill Hawaiian sweet rolls with meat and vegetables, or serve on a bed of crisp greens.

1 year ago:   Parmesan topped Salmon
2 years ago:  Pimm's Cup and Spiders

April 28, 2014   Daylight 16 hrs. 43 min. 12 sec.  Temp. H 59/L 36°F


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.