Thursday, March 3, 2016

Banana Tartlets with Nutella and a Baby on the Way!


While we were in Seattle for my surgery, we went out to dinner with the Curly Haired Boy and the Seattle DIL.  We went to this sweet little Italian restaurant that had like 5 tables total, and the food was excellent.  The best part of the whole evening was when the kids told us...

THEY ARE EXPECTING!

Now, I totally plan on being one of THOSE grandmothers.  I'm feeding that  baby ice-cream for breakfast, toting books of pictures around in my purse to show everyone, talking non-stop about the precious little bugger, sending all kinds of presents like finger paints and play-dough, drum sets...I can't wait!

As a matter of fact, Dave rolls his eyes every time I say, "I can't wait!" in my high, squeekey, excited voice.  I'm working on a wall quilt and a birth announcement cross stitch.  I've already purchased a dinosaur sandwich holder (you can't be too ready!), and I've started that child's library with my favorite 100 children's books.

We did have to keep it quiet for a while, the kids wanted to wait to tell the whole family after 3 month, but we did manage to keep it on the down low until the kids were ready to tell everyone.  So now we say blessing asking for a big and strong baby, referencing what ever fruit it is close to in size..."Please bless little baby lemon...little baby avocado...little baby pear..."

I am SO excited to finally get to be a grandma!

I think this would be an excellent breakfast for my grand-baby.  I know, I know, the poor child won't be able to eat this for a year or so, but in the meantime I'm going to practice so I get it right.

Banana Tartlets with Nutella
The 30 best recipes: Nutella

Pastry:
3/4 cup unsalted butter
2 pinches salt
1 Tbsp. superfine sugar
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup whole milk
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Filling:
4 bananas
1/2 cup Nutella
cinnamon-sugar
2 Tbsp. hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
Nutella for topping

Make the pastry: cut the butter into small pieces.  In a food processor, pulse butter, salt, sugar, and egg yolks,  add flour and pulse to mix.  With processor running add milk and mix until just combined and mixture clumps.  Roll pastry into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 400˚F.  Roll the pastry out on a floured work surface to a thickness of 1/8 inch.  Spray 8 (4 inch) tartlet pans with cooking spray.  Cut the pastry into 8 rounds, each slightly larger than the diameter of the tartlet pans; cutting as many circles as possible, then re-rolling scraps to complete 8 total circles.  Lay the pastry in the tartlet pans and prick the bottom of the pastry several times with a fork.  Bake for 10 minutes.

Cut the bananas into slices roughly 1/4 inch thick.  Take the tartlet tins out of the oven.  Spread the bottom of each tartlet with about 1 tsp. of Nutella.  Lay the banana slices on top and return to the oven for 10 minutes.  Sprinkle the tarts with the cinnamon sugar and chopped hazelnuts, drizzle more more Nutella over the top and serve warm or cold.

1 year ago:    Home
2 years ago:  Dog Tired and Pumpkin Custard
3 years ago:  Maple Mustard Chicken
4 years ago:  Moose Parm

March 3, 2016  Sunrise 7:50 am  Sunset 6:16 pm  Temp.  H 30/ L 7˚F

2 comments:

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.