Thursday, March 17, 2016

Strawberry and Kiwi Sangria


Nothing says spring in Fairbanks like snow.  We got snow this week, enough to make the streets slippery, the sidewalks slick, and Dave is shoveling again.  I'm not complaining because if it is snowing it isn't 40 below.

One spring break we had all 5 kids in the van and we drove 6 hours to Anchorage.  It was colder than 40 below that week.  So a little snow isn't going to be me down.  

I am ready for more sun though, warmer weather, and flowers outside.  I was in Texas last week and flowers were blooming in the gardens outside...oh I am so ready for that here in Fairbanks.



So I made a pitcher of this Sangria.  It tastes like spring with a kick.  Two large glasses of this and I couldn't feel my nose!  Soaking the fruit in the rum and white wine overnight, then topping with champagne makes for a delicious drink that goes down easily, but needs more care than I gave it.  The next morning I did have a bit of a headache.  It is the big glasses I used, I was fooled.




Strawberry and Kiwi Sangria
1 lb. strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 lb. kiwi, peeled and sliced
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 cup light rum
1 cup orange juice
1 bottle white wine, like sauvignon blanc
1 bottle sparking wine or champagne

Hull and slice strawberries, put 1/2 of the strawberries in a medium pot with the water and sugar.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the strawberries and very soft and falling apart.  Strain liquid through wire mesh strainer, pressing to get as much of the strawberries through the mesh strainer.  Cool.

Meanwhile, place the rest of the strawberries and the peeled sliced kiwi into a large pitcher.  Add run, orange juice and white wine.  When strawberry syrup is cooled add it to the pitcher.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or over night.

When ready to serve, pour about 3/4 of the champagne into the pitcher.  Stir gently.  Pour sangria into glasses, add a little of the sliced fruit to each glass and top with remaining champagne.
Enjoy in a small glass so you don't suffer later.

2 years ago:  Adventure
3 years ago:  Tequila Sorbet and New Dishes
4 years ago:  Wedding Bells, Drink of the Week and an Announcement

March 17, 2016   Sunrise 8:00 am Sunset 8:00 pm  Temp.  H 36/ L 21°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.