Thursday, September 20, 2018

Root Beer Float Popsicles


Everyone who know me knows I have a giant sweet tooth, and I love bubbles.  I've given up my daily diet Coke, but haven't given up the sweets or the bubbles.  So, you might be surprised to learn that I don't love Zevia sodas.  I find them too sweet.

I never thought I'd ever think anything was too sweet, but Zevia soda is, for me.  I bought a 6 pack of root beer, trying to find a substitute for my afternoon bubbly treat, and opened one, but the others sat in the fridge all summer.  I didn't want to toss them, they are pretty expensive, but I didn't want to drink them, so there they sat.  Until two of my favorite blogs posted root beer float popsicles.  Who doesn't love a root beer float and to make it into a popsicle for an after dinner treat was pure inspiration.

I didn't do anything fancy, like the two blog authors did, I just mixed heavy whipping cream with the root beer.  I did add a 1/2 tsp. of root beer extract, I had some in my cabinet from a pulled pork recipe.  I mixed it all together, poured it into the molds and let them freeze.  They are delicious!
They make this layered effect as they freeze.

Now, Zevia is clear, even the root beer, because they don't add any artificial ingredients, but the root beer extract that I had was brown, so that colored the pops.  I have one can left in the fridge and the next time I make them, I think I'll leave out the extract just to see how they turn out.  I also didn't add any extra sweetener, the root beer was sweet enough for me, but you could add some if you wanted.  Remember that cold things taste a little duller than warm things, so taste it cold before you decide if you want more sweetness.

So, my drink of the week is really a frozen treat.  I guess you could add some vodka to the mix before you freeze it, keeping it low carb but an adult treat like this only in popsicle form.  Thank goodness I have one more root beer in the freezer to try this out for you.  I'm all about helping you out, and if it means eating adult root beer popsicles, I'll do it!  I'll let you know how they are.

Root Beer Float Popsicles

1 can Zevia or sugar free root beer of choice
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp. root beer extract

Open root beer and pour into a glass, let sit and get mostly flat (it mixes better that way).  Mix root beer, cream and root beer extract.  Pour into popsicle molds.  Freeze overnight.  Mine made 12 popsicles, depends on the size of your molds.  Enjoy!

1 year ago:   Double Chocolate Flourless Cookies and Cleaning up the Yard
3 years ago:  Hip Shot And Peach comfort, Drink of the Week
5 years ago:  No Solitude from Moose Camp and Raspberry Lemon Drop, Drink of the Week

September 20, 2018   Sunrise 7:28 am  Sunset 7:58 pm  Temp. H 52/ L 40°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.