Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Crispy Chicken Wings for Monday Night Football


Since my husband and I have been married (over 20 years), we have never had a tv in the living room.  We have always been lucky enough to have a family room separate from the living room and the tv went in the family room.  When we have guests or a big group of family we always sit around the living room and visit and laugh and play games.  The living room is for interacting with each other.

This summer, my mom and dad were here and we moved a tv into the living room so they could watch the news and their evening programs without having to go up the stairs.  This also let me go to bed (upstairs) at my regular time and they could stay downstairs in the comfort of the living room and watch what ever they wanted to for as late as they wanted to.

Well, they left in August and the tv is still in the living room and we have fallen into the habit of watching tv downstairs in the evenings.  It is so easy to light a fire and have the cozy fire going while we watch our favorite show.  I have also gotten into the habit of turning it on while I cook dinner, just to catch up on the day's news.  I've even started turning it on in the morning instead of reading, meditating, and working on my blog (I know, big travesty!).  But it is a bad habit, and one that is so easy to slip into.
Chicken wings and salad - the perfect football watching dinner.

Now, Monday nights we watch football, and it is one night we watch tv while we eat our dinner.  The game usually starts about 4:30 here so it is going right during our dinner time.  I try to fix something easy, like soup and sandwiches, so we can eat and watch the game in our chairs upstairs.  but, now that we can see the tv from the dining room table, I can make some items that don't have to be easy to eat.

Chicken wings are one of my favorite foods, if the wings are crispy.  I love them with garlic butter.  Dave likes them too and he adds Frank's Red Hot Sauce on his.  So on more Mondays than I care to mention, I have made chicken wings and soup for dinner.  It doesn't matter they are a little messy to eat because we are at the table and not worried about spilling on our chairs and it is one way Dave enjoys chicken so I figure it is a big win.
Dave likes pasta with his chicken wings.

Crispy Chicken Wings

The secret to crispy skin without flour or frying is to shake the dry wings with baking powder, cook them low and slow to render the fat, then crank the heat to crisp up the skins.  I use my convection setting, but a good hot oven works just as good.

1 lb. chicken wing drumettes and flats
2 Tbsp. baking powder, plus more if needed
1 tsp. salt
4 Tbsp. butter
4 cloves garlic, minced

Preheat oven to 250°F.
Dry chicken wings with paper towels.  Place in a plastic bag and add the baking powder.  Shake until completely covered, adding more baking powder if needed.  Lay chicken wings on a wire rack over a baking sheet (spray wire rack well or cover with aluminum foil and slit the foil to let fat drain from the wings).  Bake for 30 minutes.
Turn heat in oven to 400°F and bake for 30 more minutes, turning wings half way through.

Meanwhile, melt butter over low heat.  Add minced garlic and let poach for 10-15 minutes making sure the garlic does not burn and turn bitter.

Remove wings from oven and place into a large bowl.  Pour garlic butter over top and toss to coat all wings with butter.  Serve with hot sauce on the side.

1 year ago:    Healthy Drinks and Blueberry Mojito
3 years ago:   Last Camping Trips
5 years ago:   White Cake with Strawberries and Cream


October 9, 2019  Sunrise 8:24 am  Sunset 6:50 pm  Temp H 40/ L 33°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.