Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Better than Sex Cake


As promised, we continue our Better than Sex theme for Valentine's day-week.  This cake recipe is very old.  My grandmother gave it to me when I was in high school.  This is the grandma that didn't bake a lot, so the use of a cake mix is not a surprise.  But it is good, sweet, creamy and you don't need a lot to tame that sweet tooth.  In the Crazy Cooking Challenge, one of the bloggers made a gluten free version (Find version here from Cheese Curd in Paradise).  The most special thing about this recipe is the recipe written in my grandmother's handwriting.  It really didn't seem like a big deal until I lost two recipes written in my grandma Stejer's handwriting in our house fire 11 years ago.  This tiny connection to my grandma is something special to me.
I made this cake and took it to work for Soup Wednesday, along with a moose steak pottage.  Both were really good and the perfect meal for mid-week.
Enjoy!

Better than Sex Cake
1 box German chocolate cake mix
1 can sweetened condensed milk
3/4 jar caramel ice cream topping
1 container cool whip
1 pkg. chocolate toffee bits

Make chocolate cake as directed on box.  Bake in a 9 X 13 pan.  As soon as it comes out of the oven pike holes in it all over ( I used a chopstick).  Pour caramel sauce and milk over top.  Let cool and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.  Top with cool whip and toffee bits.

Tips:
I had homemade caramel sauce in the fridge so I used that instead of a jar (find recipe here)
I didn't have a chocolate cake mix so I used a yellow cake mix and added 3/4 cup of cocoa powder and a little extra water.



February 15, 2012     Daylight  8 hours,  27 minutes,  2 seconds     Current Temp.  8ºF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.