Monday, February 13, 2012

Better than Sex Chex-Mix


In honor of the sweetheart's holiday, Valentine's Day, and because everywhere I turn around I see something that is supposed to be "better than sex" (my grandmother gave me a cake recipe called the same thing, it will come later this week), I have dedicated this week to all things labeled or named "Better Than Sex"  Personally, I am not convinced, but I'll share these recipes with you.
My curiosity with the BTS (better than sex) label on all these things started a couple of months ago when I started to clean out my very old and disorganized recipe box.  I noticed I had a couple of cake recipes that all had similar names, but very different ingredients.  One cake was called Better than Sex (from my grandma), one was Better than Robert Redford (from an older teacher I worked with about 20 years ago), one was Better than Brad Pitt (from a younger teacher I worked with, but about 15 years ago).  I know it will be time to throw my hat in when someone gives me a cake called Better than Justin Bieber!  I then ran across a drink called BTS I'll share on Friday and now a Chex-Mix called BTS.  So, a week of things that are BTS (I'm not going to take a poll at the end of the week to see if you agree if any of these things are BTS, really).
I made a big batch of this, put some in these heart boxes shown below and some in clear cellophane bags and added a pretty bow as a gift for co-workers.  I didn't put the name on it, I do work in a school building after all, just a pink card with Happy Valentine's Day. 
I could not find chocolate Chex in Fairbanks.  I looked in all three grocery stores so I substituted 4 cups of Cinnamon Chex and 4 cups of Cocoa Puffs Brownie Squares.  If anyone in Fairbanks finds chocolate Chex let me know so I can make this again...although it is really good with the Cocoa Puff Brownie Squares.

Better Than Sex Chex-Mix
 from Quick Dish

Better than Sex Chex Mix

Better than Sex Chex Mix 
Rated 5.0 Stars
(1)
  • 15 min
  • 30 min
  • 16 servings

Ingredients

  • 8  cups Chocolate Chex® cereal
  • 3/4  cup packed brown sugar
  • 6  tablespoons butter or margarine
  • 3  tablespoons light corn syrup
  • 1/4  teaspoon baking soda
  • 1  cup Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, MINI size
  • 1 cup MINIATURE marshmallows
  • 1/2  cup caramel bits (found by the chocolate chips in the baking aisle -- or chop up regular caramels)
  • 1 Tbsp heavy cream
  • 1/2  cup MILK chocolate baking chips (or more if you're a huge chocolate fan)
  • 1/2  cup vanilla (white) chocolate baking chips
  • 1 tsp coarse sea salt

Directions

  1. Into large microwavable bowl, measure cereal; set aside. Line cookie sheet with waxed paper or foil.
  2. In 2-cup microwavable measuring cup, microwave brown sugar, butter and corn syrup uncovered on High 1 to 2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute, until melted and smooth. Stir in baking soda until dissolved. Pour caramel mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Microwave on High 3 minutes, stirring every minute. Spread on cookie sheet. Cool 10 minutes. Break into bite-sized pieces.
  3. Make sure Chex mixture is cool to the touch (so candy doesn't melt.) Evenly sprinkle mini peanut butter cups candy and miniature marshmallows over Chex mixture.
  4. In small microwavable bowl, microwave caramel baking bits and cream uncovered on High about 1 minute or until chips can be stirred smooth. Use a spoon or fork to drizzle over snack. Repeat with milk chocolate baking chips. Repeat again with vanilla (white) baking chips. Quickly sprinkle coarse salt over all while candy drizzles are still wet.
  5. Refrigerate until set. Break apart and store in tightly covered container. Perfect for gift giving.
 February 13. 2012     Daylight  8 hours,  13 minutes,  22 seconds     Current Temp.  17 ºF

1 comment:

  1. LOL! Justin Bieber, please!! Right with you on the BTS thing. Here's our thought: If someone considers anything BTS they haven't got the right partner. While a lot of things - including your Chex Mix - might be almost as good, or a perfect compliment to, if you have the right partner, nothing is BTS. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.