Monday, February 20, 2012

Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars


To say I am a little forgetful is an understatement.  Really, I just have a lot on my mind and every once in a while something really important slips out!
One morning I was getting dressed.  I dress in lots of layers because I live in a cold hell-hole winter wonderland.  So, I have my undies, my camisole, my tights, my slip, my skirt, my shirt and then my jacket.  I am always cold so lots of layers.  While I was getting dressed, I couldn't find the particular shirt I wanted.  My husband said it was hanging up down in the laundry room.  I put on my camisole, my tights, my slip, my skirt and my jacket and went downstairs to get my shirt.
Mason, my youngest was sitting at the table eating.  He said he needed a check for school pictures that day, so I wrote a check for him.  He kissed me and off he went to high school.  I got coffee, made my lunch, let the dogs out and in, kissed my husband and off I went to an early meeting with my boss.  I was in her office and we were visiting a moment.  She said she liked the pin I was wearing and I looked down to see which one it was. AND I SAW I FORGOT TO PUT MY SHIRT ON!  I got so busy with everything else, I was only wearing my camisole.  Thank goodness it was a loose, heavy one, I'm cold and don't have the sexy, low cut, and lacy varieties, and I had a jacket on, but I was sitting there in my boss's office in my underwear.  I couldn't even think.  We finished the meeting and I went straight home and put my shirt on.  Luckily, I have never forgotten my shirt since.

These cookies are also made of lots of layers.  If you forget a layer you will probably miss it, unlike me and my shirt, but I'm sure you don't let things slip out of your mind like I do.  These cookies are part of the great pantry purge click here for full explanation

Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
adapted from the Pillsbury Calendar in my kitchen
One package oatmeal cookie mix
1 cup peanut butter
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup peanuts, chopped
1 pkg. chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350º F.  Spray 9 X 13 pan with cooking spray, line with parchment paper with two sides hanging over edges, spray lightly again.

Make oatmeal cookie mix as directed on package (or make your own favorite oatmeal cookie recipe).  Spread on the bottom of prepared 9 X 13 pan. Bake for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, beat peanut butter, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla together until creamy.  Carefully spread over par-baked cookie crust.  Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the chopped peanuts, press into peanut butter batter.  Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and middle is set.  Remove from oven and evenly spread chocolate chips over the top.  Let sit about 5 minutes to melt.  Spread evenly with off-set spatula or knife.  Sprinkle remaining peanuts over the top, pressing lightly to adhere to the chocolate.  Cool completely.

Remove from pan with parchment paper.  Peel paper off sides of cookies.  Cut into 1 inch squares.

February 20, 2012     Daylight  9 hours,  4 minutes,  4 seconds     Current Temp.  -8 º F


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.