Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Tilapia with Cilantro/Walnut Pesto


It is that time of year in Fairbanks, it is warm (big smile), we have smoke from the surrounding forest fires (big frown), and I have to go fishing at my local grocery store (big grimace).

My freezer is empty of fish, no salmon, no halibut.  So, I go fishing at Fred's or Sam's.  I always have sticker shock when I go to purchase fish.  Holy cow, that stuff costs a lot of money!  So I go the cheap route and buy tilapia or cod, pretend it is halibut, and hope SOMEONE goes fishing and brings home some fish, there is still time...

I made this for dinner.  This pesto would be good on cardboard!  I love cilantro anyway and this pesto is so bright and fresh.  I'm sure you will love it too.

Tilapia with Cilantro/Walnut Pesto
from Fine Cooking, July 2013


  • 1-3/4 cups lightly packed fresh cilantro sprigs
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 Tbs. toasted chopped walnuts
  • 1 lemon, half squeezed to yield 1-1/2 Tbs. juice, half cut into wedges
  • 1 medium clove garlic
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 tilapia or other firm white fish fillets (about 1 lb. total)
  • 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
In a mini food processor or blender, combine the cilantro, 1/4 cup of the oil, the walnuts, lemon juice, garlic, 1/4 tsp. salt, a few grinds of pepper, and 3 Tbs. water. Process until mostly smooth; set aside.
Pat the fish dry and season with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper.
Heat the remaining 1 Tbs. oil and 1 Tbs. of the butter in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until the butter melts and its foam subsides. Cook 2 of the fillets, turning once, until browned and just cooked through, about 4 minutes total. Transfer to a platter, cover, and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining fish and 1 Tbs. butter, adjusting the heat as necessary.
Serve the fish with the pesto and lemon wedges.
This is Riley, he likes sitting in Dad's lap and leaning on his arm.  

July 17, 2013  Sunrise 4:00 am  Sunset 11:51 pm  Temp. H 72/L 55°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.