Friday, July 5, 2013

Spicy Grilled Chicken Wings


Summer is busy.  In Fairbanks, we try to squeeze every bit of warmth and sunshine out of every activity.  This time of year is for grilling easy recipes so you can do important things like play washers, go fishing, water flowers, plan escapes for zombie attacks, ride your bike, and eat ice cream.

I have a couple of "cheater" recipes I use a lot in the summer.  These are recipes that use packaged spice mixes, bottled sauces, and/or canned starters.  If you are a food snob, stop reading and move on, but for those of us who usually make our own but depend on some cheats once in a while keep reading.

I've made these chicken wings for years.  When I get a cookbook, I always date the recipe the first time I use it, then list any changes I make to it and how it turns out.  A running record of how I've changed or used the recipe.  The date on this one was 2010.  My brother in law asked for the recipe last weekend when I made them and I just laughed at him.  After the barbecue sauce stand-off he knows I'll just laugh.  These are a great starter or a good snack for an evening of drinks and sunshine on the deck. One batch is never enough.

Spicy Grilled Chicken Wings
adapted from Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Grilling

2 pkg. Hot taco seasoning (sometimes I use my own and add more cayenne)
3 Tbsp. canola oil
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 tsp. tabasco
4 lbs. chicken wings or party dummets, thawed if frozen
1 cup ranch salad dressing
1 tsp. Tabasco
Celery sticks

In a large bowl combine taco seasoning, canola oil, red wine vinegar and the 2 tsps. Tabasco.  Add chicken, toss to combine.  Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours.

For the Tabasco-ranch sauce, in a small bowl, stir to combine ranch dressing and the 1 tsp. tabasco.  Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Set up grill fro direct cooking over medium-high heat.  Oil grate before cooking (trust me on this, oil it well).  Remove chicken from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.  Remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade.

Grill chicken for 10-15 minutes, until cooked through and turning often.

Serve with Tabasco ranch sauce and celery sticks.

July 5, 2013   Sunrise 3:22 am  Sunset 12:29 am  Temp H 71/ L 51 ºF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.