Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Pumpkin Granola


On Thanksgiving morning, we get up and go to Pie Breakfast.  I eat my fill of Wendy's chicken pot pie and I'm in heaven.  Knowing I had a wonderful breakfast to look forward to, I thought I would make a healthy breakfast for my co-workers.  A little way to say I was thankful for working with them and, hey, cut me some slack I know I'm annoying but I'm new around here (and it is only going to get worse!)Well, maybe not the second part, just the thankful part.

What better way to start a day of feasting than with something good and good for you.  I made pumpkin granola.  I love granola.  I usually have a container of homemade granola in my cupboard. I like lots of nuts and dried fruit in mine, but I saw a recipe for pumpkin granola on Pinterest and I thought it would be the perfect Thanksgiving snack.  If you search pumpkin granola on Pinterest, you will come up with about 9, 453 different ways to make pumpkin granola.  Here is my version, it is a combination of about 6 of them.  I love pumpkin pie spice so I added a lot.  Add what makes you happy.  This is so good with milk, on oatmeal, with yogurt, on top of pumpkin muffins, or just by the handful.
The raw ingredients

Toasty goodness: after a turn in the oven

Add the dried fruit and coconut after it cools

Ready for treats at work.

Make this, eat a bowlful and be thankful for all your blessings.  We have way too many to count.

Pumpkin Granola
thanks to the pinners on Pinterest

4 1/2 cups thick cut old fashioned oats
2 1/2 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup apple sauce
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup reduce sugar craisins
1/2 cut dried apricots, diced
1/2 cut dried plums, diced

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Lightly spray large baking sheet with cooking spray, or butter pan lightly.

In a large bowl, mix together oats, rice krispy cereal, pumpkin seeds and nuts.

In a smaller bowl mix together salt, sugar, pumpkin puree, apple sauce, maple syrup, and vanilla.

Pour wet ingredients over the oat mixture and mix well.  Spread onto prepared baking sheet.  Bake 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.  Let cool.  Add coconut, craisins, dried apricots, and dried plums, stirring well.  Store in airtight container.  Makes about 9 cups.

1 year ago: Warm Cabbage Slaw with Bacon
2 years ago: Carrot Cake and New Silver Cups
Our two new furry house members...we are working on house training and the shirts help.

November  27, 2013   Daylight  5 hrs, 0 min, 58 secs,   Temp. H /L °F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.