Monday, June 30, 2014

Daring Bakers Sweet Roll Challenge


I'm a little behind on my Daring Baker challenges...like I haven't done one yet this year.  They have kinda gone into the same category as the mosiac I keep promising Dave I'll get done for that boarded up bathroom window.

But this month was cinnamon rolls.  I do love a warm cinnamon roll and I do make delicious caramel rolls but I haven't even made those for a while.  I was craving cinnamon rolls with an apple filling, it just sounded delicious, so this is the perfect reason to make them...I'm just doing my Daring Baker duty.

I use this bread recipe for the dough, but the filling is going to get mixed up a little.

I used this recipe from Harris Sisters GirlTalk blog for the apple filling
Crockpot Baked Apple Slices
5 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup apple juice
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp butter, cubed

  1. Peel, core, and slice the apples.
  2. Add apples, sugars, apple juice, cornstarch, nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla to crockpot, stirring to incorporate.
  3. Place butter on top of apples
  4. Cook on high for 1 1/2 hours or on low for 4-5 hours. Stir mixture halfway through cooking.
Notes:
I used Jazz apples and Granny Smith, you choose your favorite. 


I made the filling in the morning, strained the apples in a fine mesh strainer and kept the apples and the sauce separated, the apples for the filling and the sauce for the glaze.
Then made the bread dough, let it rise once, rolled it out filled it with the apples, cut it and placed it in the pan and then into the fridge.  I love doing them this way.  In the morning, I pull them out of the fridge, heat the oven then bake.  Warm cinnamon rolls for breakfast and no work in the morning.

I did mix the reserved apple sauce with a little confectioner's sugar to make a glaze and drizzled it over each cinnamon roll before serving.

This is a nice way to start the week.

2 years ago:  Peaches with Basil Almond Shortcake and Lost Children and Puppies

June 30, 2014   Sunrise: 3:09  Sunset 12:38  Temp. H 76/ L 56°F


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.