Monday, January 26, 2015

Mexican Chocolate Mug Cake

We are having a cold snap.  It was 18 below when I woke up on Sunday, and dropped to 25 below before 10:00 am (UPDATE It was 44 below zero on Monday morning!).  I refused to check the temperature again.  It was a good excuse to stay home by the fire, stay in jamies, play words with friends, and make this mug cake.  

This mug cake is chocolatey, fudgey, and delicious.  Topped with a little whipped cream while the cake is still warm and is softens and melts into each bite.  It was delicious!

Dave will be driving me to work this week, at least until the temperatures pick up later in the week.  I'll have to make him a treat for playing chauffeur for me this week.  He will love this...and it makes two, so I'll get a treat along with him.
This is the chocolate I buy in the Mexican section of my local grocery store.

Each box has 5 disks, I'll have plenty of chocolate for cakes this week.

Warm chocolate cake with melty whipped cream...mmmmmmmm.


Mexican Chocolate Mug Cake
from Leslie Bilderback's Mug Cakes

2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 wheel Mexican chocolate, chopped
1 large egg
3.5 Tbsp. milk
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 Tbsp. self-rising flour
Pinch of kosher salt

Combine the butter and Mexican chocolate in a large mug.  Microwave for 30-60 minutes until melted.  Whisk with a fork to combine, then whisk in the egg.  Stir in the milk, vanilla, brown sugar, and cocoa.  Add the flour and salt.  Beat the batter until smooth.  Divide the batter between two mugs.  Microwave separately for 1.5 to 2.5 minutes each until risen and firm.


January 26, 2015   Sunrise 9:55 am  Sunset 4:12 pm  Temp H -26/ L -38°F



1 comment:

  1. 1/2 a wheel would be how many Tb?
    And if I use ordinary chocolate how much cinnamon and chili should I add?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.