Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Almond Bread

I was gone for two weeks for work, a week in Pennsylvania and a week in Oregon.  I was finished with Pennsylvania on a Thursday and had to be in Oregon on Monday, so I spent the weekend in Seattle with the grand baby instead of flying home, and Dave flew down too.  Of course the baby had just gotten over a stomach bug and I caught it. So by the time I left Seattle, that stomach bug was just kicking in. Having the flu in a hotel is never as much fun as having it at home (is having the flu ever fun?), I will say the big fluffy towels in the hotel made a great bed the one night I had to sleep on the bathroom floor.  Luckily, I was able to work during the day, and other than one tough night the rest of the week in Oregon was good.
I am looking forward to two weeks at home now. I'll rest up and get ready for the next trip.  I do think I need to make a rule that I can only visit the baby on the way home, so this doesn't happen again.  It was bad enough last year when I caught the flu from the baby and I was headed home, I don't want to relive the stomach bug in the hotel room again any time soon.


Right now I am loving avocado toast.  I love it for breakfast, for lunch or for dinner.  I've been known to get home a little early and make avocado toast and sit on the back deck to eat it and enjoy the sun.  I'm home for two weeks in a row so making a loaf of bread and knowing I will eat the whole thing works for me.  One loaf of bread in two weeks - easy. 

This is an easy loaf to make.  I like it toasted with butter and avocado.  I've also put butter and garlic on it and served it as garlic bread with dinner.  If you were a sandwich eater, it would be good for a sandwich - I did toast some and slather it with peanut butter.  
Hmmmm I have been craving a grilled cheese sandwich, um gotta go..


Low Carb Almond Bread
from ditch the carbs.com

2 cups almond flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt, or to taste
1/4 cup psyllium husk
4 eggs, beaten
1.8 oz coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup warm water

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Line loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.

Mix almond flour, baking powder, salt and psyllium husk in a large bowl.

In a small bowl beat eggs, add melted coconut oil and warm water.
Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well.  Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out dry.
Makes 15 slices

126 cals., 11.3 g fat, 3.9g carbs, 2g fiber
(Note: I plugged this into my Carb Manager and it says 6 total carbs, 4 g. fiber, 2 net carbs, 13 g fat, 5 g protein, 152 calories for 15 slices)

2 years ago:  Six Sisters Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars and the Lost Office Key
3 years ago:  Grilled Flank Steak with Apricots and Almonds
5 years ago:  Beer Braised Pork Loin with Warm Cabbage

April 10, 2018  Sunrise 6:33 am,  Sunset 9:12 pm  Temp. H 45/ L 26°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.