Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Blueberry Picking and Blueberry Crumble

We went camping last weekend.  It was a cool rainy weekend, but it was perfect.  We were the only people camped in the area and I think I saw 4 cars the whole weekend.  We did spend a lot of time under the pop-up next to the fire, and I loved it.

There was a bit of a break in the rain on Saturday afternoon and we went berry picking.  The blueberries are ready to be picked and the bushes are full.  Dave and I spend about 45 minutes before the rain got too hard and we got too wet but we got quite a bit.

Sunday morning we were socked in with fog.  A good morning fire and  the pop up were all we needed.  Well, that and some strong, hot coffee.



Washed, air dried and ready for the freezer.
My Brother in law came over for dinner and this was our dessert.  He was surprised when I told him it was sugar free. I wish I got a kick-back from Swerve with as many people I tell about it who start using it.  It is nice though, because I ran out of confectioner's Swerve and I could borrow 1/4 cup from my neighbor (thanks Michelle!).
Blueberry crumble served with lemon ice cream, delicious.

Blueberry Crumble

Crust and Crumble
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1/4 cup Swerve confectioner's sweetener
4 Tbsp. butter, melted
1/4 tsp. salt


Blueberry Filling
can also be used for jam, or pies, or thumb drop cookies...
2 cups blueberries
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. lemon zest
2 Tbsp. lemon juice, about 1/2 large lemon
1/2 cup Swerve confectioner's sweetener
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum

Topping: Optional
whipped cream
ice cream, I topped our with lemon curd ice cream-made with Swerve only.

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Start with the blueberry filling.  Mix blueberries, water, lemon zest, lemon juice, swerve, and salt in a heavy pot over medium heat.  Heat until boiling and reduce to simmer.  Simmer for 5 minutes and sauce begins to thicken.  Remove from heat and whisk in xanthan gum until completely dissolved.  Set aside.

Make the crumble.  Mix almond flour, swerve, butter and salt together.  Mix until crumbly.  Pour 2/3 of the mixture into a 8X8 buttered pan. Press crust into an even layer on the bottom of the pan.  Top with blueberry mixture then crumble the remaining 1/3 of the almond crust mixture over the top.  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until crumble is nicely browned on top.  Remove from oven and cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.  Makes 8 servings

2 years ago:  Introducing Grayson Zachary and Beginning the Grandma adventure
3 years ago:  Tazlina Wedding
5 years ago:  Lemon Bars and The Grocery Store Meltdown

August 8, 2018   Sunrise 5:14  Sunset 10:35  Temp. H 59/ L 44°F


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.