Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Mexican Shredded Beef

Mexican Shredded Beef and margaritas - the perfect
Cinco de Mayo combination!

We celebrated Cinco de Mayo at home with Margaritas, tacos, and loaded nachos.  And since it was Sunday and we worked on chores around the house all day (I shampooed carpets), I needed an easy dinner.

I am in full Spring Cleaning mode right now.  Walls are getting washed, curtains washed, windows washed, carpets shampooed...and after HOURS of cleaning I turn around and find a pile of dog hair my dogs shed, it is so discouraging.  But Franklin (my iRobot) still does his afternoon sweep up and I try to ignore the rest.  Sunday was a very productive day and by 5:00 I was tired but still had to get some dinner together.

I love planned left-overs.  Dishes like lasagna where I make two at the same time, because that is so easy, and stick one in the freezer for later. Or pulled pork, because it makes so much that after dinner I portion it and have a couple more meals ready to throw together because the meat just needs to be heated.  And this Mexican Shredded Beef, it makes a ton and I can put containers in the freezer so dinner can be quick and easy.
Loaded nachos - grain free chips

Now I'm being honest here and I made this beef a couple of weeks ago in the crock pot, we had dinner, and I put several meal sized containers in the freezer for later.  It is one of those containers I pulled out and used for dinner on Sunday.  And I know I have dinner for a couple more nights when I come home from work too tired to cook or when I can finally get outside and work in my garden and won't have time to cook, so much healthier (and cheaper) than running across the street to our favorite Mexican restaurant.

So, I hope you had a happy Cinco de Mayo, a productive weekend, and are looking at a fun week.  We are still Spring cleaning, but we are also eating really well.
Dave's Sunshine Salad: greens covered with Mexican Shredded Beef
tomatoes, avocado, cheese, and surrounded by tortilla chips.

Shredded Mexican Beef

5 lb. fresh brisket
1 red bell pepper, sliced in strips
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced in strips
1 small onion, sliced in half moons
1/2 cup beef bone broth
1 cup tomato sauce
3 pkgs. taco seasoning, or I use this homemade blend X3 plus salt

Spray a 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray or oil the inside lightly, add the bone broth, sliced peppers and onion.  Cut the brisket, across the grain, in 2-3 inch strips and place in slow cooker.  Mix tomato sauce with taco seasoning and pour over brisket.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.  Remove beef from slow cooker, shred discarding any large areas of fat.  Return beef to slow cooker and stir to mix in the cooking liquid.  Serve.

1 year ago:    30 Days Dairy Free and the First Fail
3 years ago:  Low Propane in the COW and Chicken Marsala
5 years ago:  Strawberry Mousse
7 years ago:  Hiving the Bees and Bee Cupcakes

May 7, 2019  Sunrise 4:56 am  Sunset 10:41 pm  Temp: H 63/ L 28˚F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.