Monday, July 15, 2019

Blueberries and Leaving the Freezer door open


Someone left the freezer door ajar, I'm not naming names (because it was probably me, but I'm trying to put the blame on my husband)  but it was open all night.

We have this turkey we are saving for the hippy boys birthday dinner. He has gotten into the habit of asking for Thanksgiving dinner for his birthday dinner so we get an extra Turkey in November and save it for his day. Then we have turkey and all the fixins' for his birthday because he says he is thankful for gravy (I also have 8 cups of turkey stock frozen so I can make turkey gravy).

Well, the turkey moved just enough to keep the door ajar (I think it was when Dave was returning my water bottles to the freezer from changing them from my ice pump for my foot). Everything in the freezer stayed frozen, albeit frosty now, but the items in the door did thaw. The door holds the last bit of last year's berries. The cranberries were fine, cold and they will refreeze, but the blueberries were a ziplock of liquid. There was nothing to do but make blueberry sauce and use it in something.

I make a basic sauce - 1/2 cup sugar (or non sugar sweetener of your choice) to every two cups of blueberries and a bit of fresh lemon juice - then I use it for many different things...pancakes, ice cream, cake topping, tarts...the list goes on. Today I was craving a cheesecake, so I made a creamy cheesecake and topped slices with it. The cheesecake was creamy and sweet and the blueberries were a tangy addition.

It is too bad that Dave can't eat dairy...I guess I'll just have to eat this whole cheesecake myself, well I guess I'll share with my mom and dad! 

Basic Blueberry Sauce
(Alaskan blueberries are more tart than commercial berries, so adjust the sugar to your liking)

4 cups blueberries
1 cup confectioners Swerve, or sweetener of choice
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice

Combine all ingredients, stirring to melt the sugar, and bring to a boil.  Boil 10-12 minutes or until reduced by about half.  Mixture will thicken as it cools.

1 year ago:    Prosciutto Wrapped Halibut with Roasted Tomato Cream
3 years ago:   Grapenut Bread for my Dad
5 years ago:   The Curly Haired Boy's Wedding

July 15, 2019  Sunrise 3:52 am  Sunset 11:58 pm  Temp. H 78/ L 56°F


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.