Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Moose in the Morning

I almost died and it is our travel guys fault.

It was Tuesday before I left for Arizona and Oregon, the Yankees were playing in the play-offs and the game started early so we recorded it and had plans to watch the game after work.  It was about 4:30 and I was just getting ready to make a copy of my travel folder for my husband so he had a copy of my schedule and our travel guy walked into my office and informed me the Yankees were behind.  I told him I didn't want to know because we were recording it but then I had to check so for the last 1/2 hour of work we talked about the game, watched it on our computers and were totally non-productive (at least I was).

Well, the Yankees lost and I grabbed my purse and said I was really unhappy and went home.  My brother in law came over for dinner and we watched the whole game and I didn't tell them how it ended.  After the game, I packed and headed to bed so I could get up at 4:00 so I could make it to the airport by 5:00.

About 12:30 I woke up with a start and realized I left my computer, projector and travel folder on my desk.  I needed to run by my office on the way to the airport.  I got up at 3:30, got dressed and then woke up my husband with the happy news that we needed to swing by my office on the way to drop me off.

We pulled up in front of my new office building and I sprinted up the stairs and was headed up the sidewalk to the door when I see a baby moose right in front of me. Crap, baby moose means momma moose and they are dangerous.  I turned around to head back to the car and not 6 feet from me was the momma moose, looking at me as she was bedded down in the grass right next to the sidewalk. I knew at that point she was going to get up and trample me to death. I backed up a few steps and headed to the car only to come face to face with a second baby moose between me and the car.  I gave the second baby a wide berth and made it to the car.

I told Dave what was going on and he told me to just walk down to the end of the building, cross the lawn there and walk right against the building to the door.  So I headed down the parking lot to the end of the building, crossed the lawn and walked right against the building, through the flowers and bushes, to the front door.  Just as I was almost to the door, one of the babies came right up next to me to eat some of the bush.  The baby startled when he saw me and ran to the momma, which made the momma stand up and take a step in my direction.  I was praying the the outside door was unlocked.  I had my key card for the inside door, but I didn't know if the outside door was going to be unlocked at 4:00 am.  Luckily, it was unlocked and I slipped inside. I caught my breath, used my key card to get in and ran upstairs to retrieve my forgotten file and computer.

When I got back downstairs, the momma moose was standing next to the sidewalk.  Dave had walked half way up the stairs and was waiting for me.  I asked him how I was going to get to the car since the momma was between me and the car.  He said to walk along the length of the building and come down the lawn far away from the moose.  I hugged the building, not making eye contact and then quickly walked down to the parking lot on the other side of the building.  I jumped in the car and we headed to the airport.  I think I was through security before my heart slowed down.

I have never been so close to a moose and I can't really believe how big the momma was.  My head was about the hight of her shoulder and there I was messing around in the same area as her two babies.  I am so lucky I didn't get charged and trampled.  And it is all the travel guys fault.

I did text him and tell him what happened, I also told him I expected him to get me upgrade for the rest of the trip.  He didn't go for it.

So, now I'm home from my trip and settling back into our regular routine.  I don't drink adult beverages while I'm on the road for work trips so I'm  having the drink I needed after my moose encounter.  And it is almost Halloween so I'm drinking this Halloween inspired cocktail.  It is so good, I might have to rename it and keep drinking it through the holidays!

Black Widow Cocktail
adapted from Keto Diet

Blackberry Juice
enough for about 5 cocktails
1 lb. fresh or frozen blackberries
1/4 cup lime juice
1 cup water
1/2 cup powdered Swerve, or your favorite sweetener

Place blackberries, juice and water into a saucepan, bring to boil over medium heat.  Boil for 3-5 minutes.  Once softened, mash the berries using a fork.  Pour through a fine mesh sieve and press the solids to remove all the juice.  Discard the seeds.

Pour into a jar and add the powdered Swerve, mix until well combined.  Let cool and refrigerate.  Juice will keep for 5 days.

For Cocktail
makes 1
3 oz. blackberry juice
2 oz. vodka
juice from 1/2 lime, about 2 Tbsp.
lime sparkling water
sugar free syrup, for rim, optional
freeze dried berries, crushed, for garnish, optional
fresh blackberries for garnish, optional

Dip rim of glass in syrup, dip in crushed berries.  Add ice blackberry juice and vodka, stir.  Top with sparkling water and garnish.

1 year ago:    Fennel and Garlic Cream Poached Halibut
5 years ago:   Sacher Torte
7 years ago:   Horse Shoe Champion and Gingered Pear and Brandy Drink of the Week

October 29, 2019  Sunrise 9:28 am  Sunset 5:39 pm  Temp H 40/ L 30°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.