Thursday, October 17, 2019

Roasted Broccoli Salad


I'm feeling very healthy these days. Mostly because I am getting my exercise in.  Our new offices are on the 5th floor of our building and the elevator is soooooo sssslllloooowww (really, we timed it and I can walk up to our floor, down to the first floor and up to our office floor BEFORE the elevator arrives). So, I walk the stairs every morning to get to my office.

Everyone in my office has been talking about what great shape we will be in as we huff and puff up those stairs.  I wonder how long it will take up to climb those flights of stairs and not be out of breath?

And because my new office is literally across the hall from the ladies room and so I don't get my steps in, I have decided to walk down the stairs and up the stairs every time I go to the bathroom...like 16 times a day. And, I placed little exercise cards in the windows of each floor so when I get to that floor I will do 10 wall push ups or 10 squats etc. So you see, I am getting a lot of exercise.

So continue my healthy habits I made this delicious roasted broccoli salad and have been bringing it for my lunch.  Broccoli is not my favorite, but I love it in this salad.  It has just enough crunch left in the broccoli and the bacon bits to make it very satisfying.  I think it gives me enough energy to climb those 5 flights of stairs up and down one extra time after lunch.


Roasted Broccoli Salad

4 slices bacon, chopped
1/2 cup avocado oil
2 bunches of broccoli, about 4 cups, separated into bite sized florets
1/4 cup onion
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup sour cream
1 Tbsp. sweetener, I used swerve confectioners, optional
1/4 tsp. salt, more or less to taste
1/4 tsp. pepper, more or less to taste
3 Tbsp. salted sunflower seeds

Preheat oven to 400°F.  Toss broccoli with avocado oil and spread in a single layer.  Roast for 15-20 minutes until just beginning to crisp edges.  Remove from oven and let cool.

Meanwhile, in a medium frying pan.  Cook chopped bacon until crisp.  Remove from heat to a paper towel to drain.  Add onion to bacon fat and sauté until translucent.  Remove to paper towel to drain. 

In a small bowl mix mayo, sour cream, sweetener, salt and pepper. 

In a large bowl toss broccoli with mayo/ sour cream mixture, add onion and bacon.  Pour into serving bowl and top with sunflower seeds.

1 year ago:    Homemade Coffee Liqueur and Keeping Traditions
5 years ago:   Garlic Chili Chicken and My Saturday Afternoon Date
7 years ago:   Chocolate Chip Banana Cake

October 17, 2010  Sunrise 8:49 am  Sunset 6:21 pm  Temp. H 31/ L 20°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.