Friday, October 9, 2020

Keto Pumpkin Mug Cake

As sad as I am to see the end of summer, I do love Fall.  I love the cold, crisp mornings and how it warms up in the afternoon.  I love the smell of cranberries, the foggy mornings, fires in the morning to "take the chill off" and lots of fall baking with warm spices.  I love apple pie and pumpkin bread.  I love piles of leaves as they fall from the trees and Halloween decorations that pop up all around the neighborhood.  

I made pumpkin bread this week for my contribution to Breadline.  I just double this recipe and have 4 loaves at a pop.  I bake on Wednesday and Thursday mornings before work, so I dropped off 8 loaves this week.  

Well, I love pumpkin bread too, and I decided I needed some this week.  I made this pumpkin mug cake for breakfast while I was baking for Breadline.  It was a warm and delicious breakfast. It is delicious plain but I like it at breakfast with  a dollop of whipped cream. When I make it in the evening for dessert, I like to add a pecan topping or a cream cheese frosting.  You'll have to try all four ways and decide how you like it best.

Now, when I am making pumpkin bread, I just sneak out two tablespoons of pumpkin for my treat, but sometimes I want pumpkin bread but opening a whole can for two tablespoons seems like too much, you have this whole can in the fridge and you aren't sure what to do with it all.  I've fixed that, I opened a can and spooned out tablespoons and froze them. Once they are frozen, transfer them to a ziplock freezer bag and you are set.  

Now I just take out two lumps and melt in the microwave when I melt the butter for this recipe.  I am set for the long winter with pumpkin on the ready!  Bring on the snow.

Keto Pumpkin Mug Cake

1 Tbsp. butter, melted

2 Tbsp. coconut flour

2 tsp. almond flour

2 Tbsp. brown erythritol blend, I like Sukrin gold

1 egg

1 Tbsp. water, or almond milk

2 Tbsp. pumpkin puree

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

pinch salt

In microwave safe bowl (I use a 2 cup pyrex bowl), melt butter.  Add all the other ingredients and mix well.  Scrape side of bowl (or divide mixture between two microwave safe mugs) and cook in microwave for 60 seconds to 3 minutes (1 minute if divided between two mugs, up to 3 minutes if in one bowl).  Cook for shortest time, check and continue cooking in 30 second intervals. To test, a toothpick should come out of the center clean or with a few crumbs.

Toppings 

Brown Sugar Pecan Topping

2 Tbsp. butter

2 oz. pecans, chopped

1 Tbsp. brown erythritol sweetener

small pinch of salt

dash of vanilla extract

Melt butter in small microwave safe bowl, add pecans, sweetener, salt and vanilla.  Mix well, pour over mug cake.


Cream Cheese Frosting

1 Tbsp. cream cheese, softened - I use full fat Philadelphia

1 tbsp. heavy cream, or water

1 tsp. powdered erythritol, or sweetener of choice

1 pinch pumpkin pie spice

Add all the ingredients and mix until smooth. Spread over mug cake


Sweetened Whipped Cream

1/4 cup heavy whipping cream

1/2 Tbsp. powdered erythritol, or sweetener of choice

Pour cream and sweetener into small bowl or cup, whip (I like to use my coffee frother in a mug).  Spread over mug cake.


October 9, 2020  Sunrise 8:27 am  Sunset 6:47 pm  Temp H 48/ L 28°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.