Monday, October 5, 2020

The Quiet After Moose Camp

 


The hunters have all gone home.  Moose season ended September 25th for us and on the 26th they broke camp and headed home.  Then there was the flurry of all the unpacking, cleaning, drying, organizing and storing until the next moose season.

We were fortunate and got one moose.  The meat has all been cleaned and taken to the butcher to be processed and packaged, I love getting it back all wrapped and and ready for the freezer.  The freezer has been cleaned out and reorganized so the moose would all fit and freeze before we divided it between the hunters.  The last out-of-state hunter was hauled to the airport this morning (at 3:30 am) and they are almost home as I write this.  

My brother was the last to leave(3:30 am, thanks bro).  Airlines are not serving food yet and it is a 3 1/2 hour flight from Fairbanks to Seattle where he'll have to change planes.  I made him a little breakfast to-go sack with hard boiled eggs, cheddar cheese and homemade pumpkin bread.  I still really owe him after he brought up my grandma's baking cabinet.

This recipe makes two loaves so I sliced half of one loaf for my brother's breakfast, the other half got sliced and sent across the street to the neighbor.  The second loaf went to my friend who is dealing with injured family members from an ATV accident.  I hope that pumpkin bread adds a little joy to everyone's day.

Me, I'm enjoying a quiet house after 4 days of clean-up activity and I'm happy to have a full freezer for the winter.

Pumpkin Bread

  • 1 cup vegetable oil, I use avocado oil
  • 3eggs, beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 (15 oz. can) pumpkin puree,
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Generously spray 2 (8 1/2 X 4 1/2")loaf pans with cooking spray, set aside.

In large mixing bowl combine vegetable oil, eggs, sugar, pumpkin puree and vanilla.  Mix well.  

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.  Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture, mixing until well combined.  Divide batter evenly between the two prepared loaf pans.  Bake for 45-55 minutes, until a toothpick, stuck in the middle of the loaf, comes out with few moist crumbs.

Cool in pans for 10 minutes, remove from pans and cool completely before cutting.  Enjoy.

October 5, 2020  Sunrise 8:14 am  Sunset 7:01 pm  Temp H 51/ L 39°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.