Friday, June 1, 2012

Beef Fillet with Red Pepper Coulis and Avocado Butter


I really try to get my husband to eat a more healthy diet than Slim Jims (his favorite) and Cheetos.  I make him eat an entree salad for dinner at least once a week, he starts all other dinners with a small salad and has one or two veggies.  He doesn't like chicken, salmon or turkey, but he will eat it if that is what I cooked (which I don't do very often because why would I cook something I know he doesn't like?)  But every once in a while everyone deserves a treat and a big hunk of red meat is what he considers a treat.

Why, you ask, does this man deserve a treat right now?  Well, he did turn over all the soil in my garden boxes and greenhouse.  He does the laundry (I can't be trusted), I want a new lens for my camera, and he painted the family room while I was at San Antonio for a conference (really, I want a new lens for my camera).

I made him a wonderful filet with red pepper coulis and avocado butter.  It looks all fancy (if you do a better job plating than I do), it is delicious with the avocado butter and red pepper coulis and it is so easy, especially if your husband does the grilling and cooks the meat.  He was impressed and I got my new camera lens (o.k. so I was going to order it anyway, and he knows that, so we just feel better if we think we talked about it and agreed).

Beef Filet Mignon with Red Pepper Coulis and Avocado Butter
adapted from Sandra Lee Barbeque 
4 beef filets
salt and pepper
steak seasoning of your choice (I use Executive Chef)

Red Pepper Coulis
1/2 cup jarred red peppers
1/4 cup Catalina dressing

Avocado Butter
4 Tbsp. butter - softened at room temp
1/2 med. avocado, diced
1/2-1 tsp. franks red-hot sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Season beef as desired with salt, pepper and/or steak seasoning.  Let sit at room temp. for 30 minutes.

Add red peppers and Catalina dressing to blender, puree until smooth.  Pour into sauce pan and warm.

Mix softened butter, avocado, hot sauce, salt and pepper.  Set aside.

Grill beef to desired temperature.  Place pool of red pepper coulis on plate, place meat in pool, top with avocado butter.  Serve.

June 1, 2012     Daylight  20 hours,  40 minutes,   seconds     Current Temp.  56 ºF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.