Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Cheater French Onion Soup

My grandpa Tony was a Shriner.  He was a clown, he wore the red fez hat and, as a child, he loved to take us to his group, or den, or secret circle of knowledge (or keepers of the treasure..no wait, that was a movie).  He loved to show us off and I loved my grandfather.
After he passed away, my grandmother decided she didn't need is 1950 Ford F1.  My dad and uncle had first dibs, and they both passed.  I got to buy the truck from my grandma and I am so excited.  Right now it is sitting in the garage at Grandma's house and I am forever scheming on how to get it up to Fairbanks.  But I digress...
My grandpa Tony's group sold apples and sweet onions to raise money for the organizations they support, like the Shriner's Hospital for Children.  So every year, when our friend Carlton (also a Shriner) is selling onions I buy a couple of bags.
This is a total cheater recipe because it is so good but so easy.  Everyone is really impressed when you pull this little package of deliciousness off the grill, you don't have to tell them it is this easy.  We got this recipe from our friends Russ and Mary Anne one summer when we had dinner by their Koi pond.

Cheater French Onion Soup
From Russ and MaryAnne

4 sweet onions
4 Tbsp. butter, divided
4 beef bullion cubes or better than bullion paste
4 garlic bread croutons

Cut stem end off each onion and peel, leave root end intact. Cut X in each onion, careful not to cut through the onion.  Stuff one tablespoon butter into the cuts of each onion.,


Place one bullion cube in center of each onion or one good glob of the better than bullion paste (yes glob is a real cooking word and good is a real measurement).
Wrap in aluminum foil and tightly seal edges.  Place on grill over indirect heat for 45-60 minutes until onion is very soft.  Alternatively, place in oven at about 325ºF for 45-60 minutes.
Carefully open foil packages and pour into bowls.  Pull the root end out of the bowl.  Top with garlic bread croutons if desired.
Again, this is so good, and so easy.  The onions melt into the butter and bullion and create this amazing soup.  We eat this over and over in the summer when the sweet onions are at their peak.
June 6, 2012     Daylight  21 hours,  31 minutes     Current Temp.  68ºF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.