Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Grilled Thai Beef Salad

I am a mouth out of control.
 Dave bought two bags of potato chips, Ruffles, my favorite.  He left them in the house with me, alone.  O.K. I know you see where this is going.  Two days later he asked where the chips were.  The conversation went something like this...
D: hey honey, where are those chips I bought?
Me: what chips?
D: you know, those two bags of chips I bought at Sam's, for the picnic we are going to Saturday.
Me: I dunno.
D: Did you eat them?
Me: I dunno.
D: You ate them?  Both bags?
Me:  They were small, and they jumped in my mouth and the Nutella was open and begging for chips to be dipped in it, and I was alone in the house with those chips and the Nutella.  It's all your fault, you brought those chips home.

So you can see, it is not my fault and I am on salad from now until forever...Dave had to buy more chips for Saturday and then he had to hide the chips from me too.  I'm mad at him, it's all his fault, he bought the chips in the first place.

Flank steak, soy, butter lettuce and shallots.  This won't take the place of potato chips, but boy is it good.  It is one salad dinner Dave won't complain about.

Thai Beef Salad
Ellie Krieger, 2007
1 pound top-round London broil or flank steak, about 1 to 1 1/2-inches thick
3 tablespoons lime juice, divided
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons minced ginger
1 1/4 teaspoons red curry paste or chili-garlic sauce
1/2 head red-leaf lettuce, torn (about 6 cups)
3 shallots, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup), divided, for garnish
1/2 cup cilantro leaves, rinsed and dried
1 cup basil leaves, sliced into ribbons
Directions
Rinse and pat the meat dry. Place in a sealable plastic bag or small glass dish. In a medium bowl combine 1 tablespoon of the lime juice, soy sauce, olive oil, brown sugar, garlic, ginger and red curry paste. Pour half the mixture into the bag with the meat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice to the bag. Seal tightly, and marinate meat in refrigerator at least 4 hours or overnight, turning occasionally. Reserve the rest of the mixture refrigerated, to dress the salad.
Spray grill or grill pan with cooking spray and preheat. Grill steak until medium-rare, about 5 minutes per side, depending on desired doneness. Let rest until room temperature then slice thinly against the grain.
Combine lettuce, sliced shallot, cilantro, basil and beef in a salad bowl, reserving a few shallots for garnish. Add the reserved dressing and toss to coat. Divide salad among 4 plates and garnish with reserved sliced shallots.

June 26, 2012     Daylight  21 hours,  42 minutes     Current Temp. 63 ºF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.