Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Banana Muffins and little blue cougar pills


I am truly beginning to understand the term "sandwich generation" with the Baby boy and his chick moving home and the extra care Dave's 87 year old mother needs, we are sandwiched between these two generations and in a care-givers role.

Dave's mother has lost quite a bit of weight and she gets confused very easily.  The health care provider uses terms like dementia and assisted living, and so we are stepping up our game.  I've been getting her house more organized, her medications organized, and having lunch with her every day.  Dave goes over every morning and gets her up and fixes her breakfast.

A couple days ago, as I was cleaning her bathroom, I found several bottles of vitamins and medications.  I took them out to my mother in law (MIL) and asked her about each one.  One of the bottles I found was a large white bottle with no label, but the MIL had written PM on the top and the side.  I opened them up and found blue pills.

"What are these pills for," I asked.  "There isn't a label on them."
"Oh, you know, those are the cougar pills I take."
"No, I don't know what cougar pills you take.  What are they?"
"They are my cougar pills."

Um, o.k.  do I really want to know what these little blue pills are?

"How long have you been taking them?"  I asked.
"For years," she said.  "I don't remember how long."

Um, again, do I really want to know what these little blue pill are?

"When do you take them?"
"I take them before I go to bed, you know the cougar kind."

At this point I know I don't want to know what these little blue pills that she takes before she goes to bed are for, but if she is taking them we have to know.

"I don't know what they are, what do they do for you?" I asked, afraid of the answer.
"They help me sleep." she said.
"Oh! They are like Tylenol PM?"  I asked.
"Yes, but the cougar kind."
"You mean the Kroger brand?"
"Yes, that's what I said."
"I'll put these back in the bathroom." I said, relieved.

Thank goodness we got that one figured out!

So every day we have a new little adventure over at the MIL's place.  She is starting to feel better now that the antibiotics are kicking in and she is eating more regularly.  How do I know?  She has started to complain.
"Dave made me 4 pieces of bacon and I can only eat three." she tells me as soon as I walk in the door.
"I am all out of muffins, what am I supposed to have with my eggs tomorrow?"  She asked half way through lunch.

So I made banana muffins for her.  Dave took a few over this morning when he went to fix her breakfast.  Yes, we are feeling a bit like the filling of a very thick sandwich.
So, if I have to be part of the sandwich generation, I want to be the Nutella in the cracked wheat sandwich of our family!


Blender Banana Muffins
from my Muffin Recipe box

Sift together in a bowl:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

Place in the blender and blend until smooth:
2 large ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream

For topping:
Granola, without dried fruit

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Add blender ingredients to dry ingredients, mixing well.  Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins, filling each cup almost full. Top with a generous sprinkle of granola.  Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.  Makes about 18 large muffins.

October 15, 2015  Sunrise 8:44 am, Sunset 6:28 pm  Temp. H 31/ L 21°F

1 year ago:   3-2-1 Beer Bread and the second retirement
2 years ago:  Roasted Chicken with Apples and Garlic

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.