Monday, December 29, 2014

Pink Champagne Cakes for Mug Cake Monday


It was a great Christmas for books.  From my husband, I received all the Chris Van Allsburg books that were "lost" during our redo of the office...all 11 of them.  The Baby Boy has been reading us a book a day, he remembers them from when he was a child and the turn around of him reading to me is pretty sweet.

I received the new Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, my whole family will be enjoying that one!  I also received a Nutella cookbook from a friend at work...my love of Nutella is known far and wide, I'll share some of those delicious recipes soon.

And then we come to Mug Cake Monday...

My dear friend Donna gave me this Mug Cake book.  It has over 100 recipes for mug cakes that can be made in under 10 minutes total.  The cooking time is 1.5-2.5 minutes in the microwave.  I know what she is thinking, I think it all the time...Dear God, please make everyone around me fat...yes my big girl pants will be "shrinking" soon.

So, I decided to start a Mug Cake Monday section for 2015 and I'll start now because I couldn't wait to try out one of these recipes.  This is the perfect cake for the new year, strawberries and champagne baked up in pretty little cups.  How pretty for New Year's Eve or brunch on New Year's Day.

So, Happy New Year!  I wish for you a year full of adventures, joy, good health, and delicious mug cakes!

Pink Champagne Mug Cake
from Mug Cakes by Leslie Bilderback

4 strawberries, washed, dried, and diced
1/4 cup champagne
1 large egg
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
1 drop red food coloring
1/4 cup granulated sugar
6 Tbsp. self rising flour
pinch of kosher salt

Optional: whipped topping, strawberries

In a large mug, combine the strawberries and champagne.  Set them aside to macerate for 5-10 minutes.

In a second mug (I used my 2 cup measuring cup with a spout for easy pouring), whisk together the eggs and butter with a fork.  Stir in the food coloring, sugar, macerated strawberries, and their liquid.  Add the flour and salt.  Beat the batter until smooth.  Divide the batter between two mugs sprayed lightly with cooking spray.  Microwave separately for 1.5-2.5 minutes each until risen and firm.

Because microwaves are different, start with 1.5 and add time as needed.  If you use a glass mug, like I did, you will need a little less time, a thick mug will take a little more time.

Cool slightly.  Top cake with whipped topping and strawberries and enjoy.

1 year ago:   Homemade Ravioli and the New Pasta Machine
2 years ago:  Greek Yogurt Labneh for an Afternoon Snack
3 years ago:  A Most requested Recipe - Moose Short Ribs

December 29, 2014   Sunrise 10:57 am  Sunset 2:49 pm  Temp. H 24/ L 21°F


1 comment:

  1. sounds very special perfect for the new years eve
    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.