Thursday, December 11, 2014

Christmas lists and Rice Krispy Treats

I have quite the cooking/baking list for the holiday season: peppermint marshmallows, cookies, saffron lollipops, bacon baklava, cookies,  pumpkin cheesecake, sticky buns, sweet potato latkes, and I haven't even started thinking about the cookies I'm going to make for the office cookie exchange!

This is a very different year with the needs of June and I spend more time at her house than my own, so I know the list will not be completed (except the bacon baklava...mmmmmm bacon).  I did have about and hour at home the other day so I decided to make something.  The only thing I could get enough energy up for was rice krispy treats...I know it's not much, but I did feel better mixing that melted butter with the marshmallows and the rice cereal.

Now, I did have a whole hour, so I decided to cut out shapes and decorate just a little.  I made the rice krispy treats, spread thinly in a cookie sheet and let them cool.  Then I tried cutting them in star and snowflake shapes.  That marshmallow sure sets up!  I enlisted my husband to help me cut them.  He cut a couple and then pulled out the rubber mallet to assist in the cutting of the shapes (it was truly a boy thing).  He pounded, I added a little frosting, some silver glitter, a couple of sugar candies, and we called it good.

I spent the rest of the evening congratulating myself on getting something Christmasy done as I ate all the scraps from cutting the cookies out...it was a win-win.










I made him cover the cookie cutter with a pot holder so it wasn't so loud!

Decorating at it's finest, I'm sure.

Rice Krispy Treats
You know, I couldn't even find the recipe on the box of cereal!  So I just did what I remembered...

3 Tbsp. butter
1 bag mini marshmallows
6 cups rice cereal

Butter a cookie sheet, set aside.
Melt butter in large pan, add marshmallows and stir until melted.  Remove from heat and add rice cereal.  Stir until completely mixed.  Pour onto cookie sheet, with buttered hands, spread mixture into an even layer.  Let cool.  Cut into desired shapes and decorate.

1 year ago:   Rice Krispy Treat Balls (I must like rice Krispy treats around Christmas time)
2 years ago:  Pumpkin Chocolate Chip cookes
3 years ago:  Pear-tini and the Unfinished Quilt  (and yes, the quilt is still unfinished!)

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Kristen, It was a tiny bit of Christmas cheer for us! Merry Christmas to you and yours.

      Delete

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.