Friday, August 5, 2016

The REAL Grape Nut Bread


So, you know I have been hearing about this Grape Nut bread my dad kept thinking I made, so I found a recipe online, made it, had to make it again for it to turn out, and then presented it to my dad.

His response..."It's good, but it's not the same bread I remember."

So, back to the internet and my mom found this recipe.  I made it, had to make it a second time because I didn't cook it long enough and the center was doughy...I baked it the second time for a full 50 minutes in my convection oven and still a little doughy, so watch out.

Well, this "might" be it, but it was a long time ago and he doesn't really remember...

So here is a second type of Grape Nut bread for you to try.  It, too, is delicious and it is a quick bread, in that it uses baking powder and baking soda instead of yeast.  If you have Grape Nuts, you should try it.

Grape Nut Bread #2
adapted from A Family Feast

2 cups buttermilk
1 cup Grape Nut Cereal
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
4 tsp. baking powder

Preheat oven to 350˚F.
Spray bread pan generously with cooking spray.

In a large bowl mix buttermilk and Grape Nuts.  Let sit for 15 minutes.  Stir in baking soda.  In a small bowl mix sugar, flour and baking powder.  Add to buttermilk mixture and stir until well incorporated.  Place dough into pan, spreading dough into corners.  Bake for 50-60 minutes until bread is very brown and sounds hollow when you thump the top.  If bread begins to brown too much, cover with foil for last 10-15 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes in pan.  Remove bread from pan to a wire rack to cool before cutting.

1 year ago:    Fishing in Homer
2 years ago:  New Cookbooks and Brandy Alexander
3 years ago:  Rhubarb Sauce for Rhubarb Crumble Bars
4 years ago:   Grandma McFadden's Zucchini Chocolate Cake

August 5, 2016  Sunrise 5:06 am  Sunset 10:45 pm Temp H 67/L 56˚F


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.