Friday, December 2, 2016

Oat, Seed, and Nut Crackers


I love nuts and seeds.  My family, not so much.  I made this delicious bread and I was the only one who liked it.  I found this recipe for crackers and thought I would try them.  I love them, they are crunchy, nutty and delicious; but my family wasn't so keen.  Maybe it's just me, I thought.

Well, I was headed out for work for about 3 weeks and I didn't want these crackers to go to waste, so I took them to work hoping someone would like them...they were gone in one afternoon.  Everyone loved them and I had several requests for the recipe.  So, it isn't me who likes unusual things, it is the rest of my family who doesn't know what is good.  I felt vindicated.

I'm making them often so I have a supply through the holidays.  I hope you try them and enjoy them as much as I do.

Oat, Seed and Nut Crackers
Bon Appétit, November 2016

1 cup old fashioned oats,
3/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/3 cup sesame seeds
3 Tbsp. chia seeds
3 Tbsp. poppy seeds
1 tsp. kosher salt
4 tsp. vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
3/4 cup room temperature water

Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl and stir until soaked.  Let sit 10 minutes to allow mixture to thicken.  Form into a ball.  Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, press another sheet of parchment on top, and roll our to 1/8" thickness (the shape doesn't matter).  Remove top layer of parchment.  Bake cracker until golden brown around the edges, 15-20 minutes.  Remove from oven and carefully turn over cracker; remove parchment.  Bake cracker on same sheet until firm and the other side is golden brown around the edges, 15-20 minutes.  Let cool on baking sheet, then break into pieces.  8 servings.

1 year ago:    Celebrating a new Kick-Ass Dr. and Christmas Dreams Drink of the Week
3 years ago:   Tucker on the Sofa and Pumpkin Brownies
5 years ago:   Chinook Winds - Drink of the Week

December 2, 2016  Sunrise 10:24  Sunset 2:57  Temp. H -4/ L -12˚F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.