Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Feeling Ashamed and Apple Fritter Bread


I'm a little ashamed of myself.
I have been a little sick, I got the flu and then a cold and that escalated into a sinus infection and a significant asthma event.  I'm on two antibiotics and a steroid, I've done several nebulizer treatments at the clinic,  and I'm sucking on my inhaler like it was the only oxygen in the world.  I'm tired and can't catch a full breath and I was feeling sorry for myself and I posted a "poor me" post on Facebook.
I try not to do that.  I was sick, big deal, we all get sick, but in my weakened state I did it. The first person to post a "feel better" is a woman going through the last couple rounds of her 37 radiation sessions after she finished her chemo for breast cancer.  Here she is fighting for her life, and never complaining on Facebook, and she tells me to feel better.

I am ashamed of myself.

So, I know she loves apple fritters. I decided to do something for her and make her this apple fritter bread. I hope it makes her day a little brighter.

Apple Fritter Bread
from Tip Hero

1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
2 Granny Smith apples peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch dice
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 2/3 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. milk, divided
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350˚F.  Spray 9 x 5 loaf pan with cooking spray.

In a small bowl combine brown sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon.

In another small bowl combine apples with remaining 1 tsp. cinnamon.

In a medium bowl combine butter and granulated sugar.  Add eggs, one at a time until completely mixed add vanilla and 1/2 cup milk.

In a medium bowl mix flour and baking soda. Add this mixture to the butter and sugar mixture and stir until well blended.

Pour 1/2 the batter into the prepared pan. Layer half the apple mixture on the batter followed by 1/2 the brown sugar-cinnamon mixture.  Gently press the apples into the batter.  Add the remaining batter, topping with apples. Gently press apples into batter.  Swirl brown sugar mixture between apples into batter.

Bake for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Allow to sit on a wire rack for 15 minutes before removing from pan.

While bread cools, prepare glaze by mixing 1/2 cup powdered sugar with remaining 1 Tbsp milk.  Drizzle glaze over cooled bread.

2 years ago:  Christmas Present Request
3 years ago:  Rice Krispy Treat Balls
5 years ago:  Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons

December 28, 2016   Sunrise 10:58 am  Sunset 2:47 pm  Temp H -2/ L -22˚F


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.