Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Rhubarb Coffee Cake and the Mean Joke


Mother Nature is a mean trickster (that's not really what I wanted to say, but I'm trying to keep it clean).  Fairbanks had wonderful warm, sunny weather last week while I was stuck in a snowstorm in Minnesota.  I get home and woke up to this...





I am not amused.  The house was cold and Dave hasn't been building a morning fire since it has been so warm, so there was no wood in the house.  I was cold, tired and irritated.  So I baked.  I made this rhubarb coffee cake from All Day I Dream About Food.

In the real world, rhubarb is a spring thing, but in Fairbanks where we get 3 inches of snow in mid April, rhubarb hasn't even started to wake up yet.  I love rhubarb and have a plant in my yard so I freeze 4 cup batches and I can have it all year. 

Rhubarb is not something Dave enjoys, so when I use it I eat it all...or I share with my co-workers, which is what I did this time.  Everyone enjoyed it, even the regular sugar and flour eaters.  I was even asked to make it again, soon!

So, I hope you enjoy it and I hope you don't wake up to snow any time soon.

Rhubarb Cake
All Day I Dream About Food

I had frozen rhubarb so I cooked it, reduced it and then added the rhubarb sauce to the cake.  If you add frozen rhubarb it makes the middle of the cake mushy because of all the liquid it releases.  This gave me a little extra rhubarb sauce to use in my drink of the week...details on Friday!

1 year ago:    Chocolate Waffles
5 years ago:  Stitches and the Practicing Doctor
7 years ago:  Blueberry Muffins and a Lot of Snow

April 24, 2019  Sunrise 5:43 am  Sunset 9:57 pm  Temp. H 39/ L 25° and snow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.