Monday, December 16, 2019

Cheeseburger Soup


Our weather finally took a dip to colder weather, but still only 20 below.  It is supposed to get to -30 by Thursday, but that is in the middle of the night.  While we have had an unusually warm winter, -20 is still cold and I crave soup.

I made soup and chicken wings for dinner Sunday while we watched football, soup for me and chicken wings because Dave doesn't think soup is dinner.  But, I have to say that I got TWO compliments on the soup and he ate TWO bowls of soup so this was a total win!  At one point he told me I could can the broth and sell it, high praise from a  soup disinterested human!

So, here is my version of Cheeseburger Soup, I won't can it and sell it, but I do take donations if you are so inclined!

Cheeseburger Soup

1 Tbsp. Avocado oil
1/2 cup onion, diced
3 cloves garlic
1 lb. ground beef
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 (14. oz)  fire roasted-diced tomatoes
4 cups beef broth
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sour cream
salt to taste
1 1/2 cups cheese, divided
diced dill pickle, optional but so unusually delicious

In a large pot, heat avocado oil and sauté onion until soft and translucent.  Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, add ground beef and cook until well browned, breaking up large clumps.  Add mustard, tomatoes and beef broth, bring to a boil and reduce to low and simmer for 1 hour.  Add heavy cream, sour cream and 1 cup of cheese, stir until cheese is melted and incorporated well. Taste and add salt, if needed.

Serve, top each bowl with a sprinkle of cheese and some dill pickle.

5 years ago:   Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Dates
7 years ago:   Lighter Fruitcake

December 16, 2019  Sunrise 10:53 am  Sunset 2:39 pm  Temp H -5/ L -8°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.