Tuesday, April 7, 2020

No Netflix and Rhubarb Coffee Cake


I guess it is a sign of the times.  Everyone is staying home, so everyone is binging on Netflix.  After dinner, dishes and a game of cribbage, Dave and I watch something on tv.  Lately we've been watching Outlander on Starz.  The last several nights, when we tried to log on, we get the spinning wheel of death, and there isn't enough band width in our neighborhood to get the show.  We end up watching what ever is on regular tv and just going to bed early.

We also got more snow.  While most of the real world is turning green, we are still getting a ton of snow.  My daily checklist looks like this:
1)Who am I checkin on or connecting with today?  Dave, as we shovel snow.
2)What expectations of normal am I letting go of today? I'm not wearing real pants, only snow pants, so I can shovel snow.
3)How am I getting outside today? I'm going outside to shovel snow.
4)How am I moving my body today? I'm shoveling snow.
5)How am I expressing my creativity today?  I'm shoveling snow in patterns.
6)What type of self care am I practicing today?  I'm taking an epson salt bath after I shovel snow.
7)What am I grateful for today? That I'm getting a lot of steps in while I shovel snow.

I'm starting to feel like Spring will never get here.  One bright spot in my week is a newsletter I've started getting from the greenhouse I use every year.  When they start sending out their newsletter, I know there is hope for warmer weather.  And the pictures of the beautiful flowers from last year are always a bright spot in my day.

Now, in the real world, spring is a time for rhubarb.  In Alaska, rhubarb is still buried deep under the snow, but I did find one more container in my freezer.  So that, along with some frozen raspberries from my garden, made this delicious rhubarb coffee cake.  While it is still frozen and currently snowing outside, this coffee cake gave me a little taste of spring.

Raspberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake
for cake:
2 cups rhubarb
1 cup raspberries
1/2 cup granulated Swerve, or granulated sweetener of choice, divided
3 cup almond flour
1/3 cup unflavored whey protein powder
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. vanilla extract

for topping:
1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 Tbsp. pecans, chopped
1 Tbsp. granulated Swerve, or granulated sweetener of choice
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Grease a 9" springform pan well.

In a medium bowl, mix rhubarb, raspberries and 2 Tbsp. sweetener, set aside.

In a large bowl mix almond flour, whey protein powder, baking powder, the remaining sweetener and salt.  Add melted butter, eggs, water and vanilla extract, mix well.  Pour half the mixture into prepared pan, top with rhubarb and raspberries, top with the rest of the batter, carefully spreading to cover rhubarb.
Bake for 30 minutes.

While cake is baking mix almond flour, coconut, pecans, sweetener and butter until it makes coarse crumbs.  Remove cake from oven, top with crumble, cover with foil and bake for an additional 20-30 minutes, until the center is firm to the touch.  Remove from oven and run a sharp knife around the edge of the cake.  Let cool 30 minutes, run a sharp knife around edge again and carefully remove ring of springform pan.  Let cool completely.

1 year ago:    Update on the Truck and Cheese Wrapped Hotdogs
7 years ago:   Failed Quiche


April 7, 2020  Sunrise 6:42 am  Sunset 9:04 pm  Temp H 28 / L 1°F


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.