Monday, August 12, 2019

Sugar Free Peanut Butter Truffles and Getting Rained Out

There are a few things in life you can depend on, you gotta pay taxes, you need air and water to live and it will rain in Fairbanks the week of the Tanana Valley State Fair.  Well, I paid my taxes, I am breathing, I drank some water and, even as I write this, it is still raining.

We didn't really think things through or we would have stayed home last weekend.  The fair started on Friday and we headed out of town for the White Mountains and our favorite camping spot.  We only have two weekends left before my parents head back down to Tucson for the winter.  A little rain wasn't going to discourage us!  We are Alaskans.

Friday night we pulled into the White Mountains and our favorite camp spot was taken.  No problem (with a little grumbling from me), we moved down the road to the end by the river.  It was raining but we put out the awning and Dave grilled some wonderful burgers and I made a salad and some tator tots in the camper (nothing fancy on Friday nights).  We had a good dinner and played some cards and went to bed a little earlier than usual.  The sound of the rain hitting the roof of the camper is one of my favorite sounds, and the 40 mile an hour wind gusts rocked the camper and us to sleep.

In the morning, the area we were in was flooded.  The river had risen and was overflowing into our little part of the gravel.  Once everyone was awake and moving, we decided to move to higher ground.  The person who was in our favorite spot gave up and moved on so we moved into the gravel bar and out of the water.
This area is usually dry!  The water was right up to the firepit.
Dave's rock tower, two of the rocks are underwater.
The other side of the motorhome, again usually dry.

We had a late breakfast, played some cards and, since it was still raining, took a nap.  Dave built a fire and sat under a pop-up to stay (somewhat) dry.  I woke up from my nap and Dave came in to play cards.  My parents had lunch and a nap in their camper.  I looked out at the gravel bar and said, "Wow, look at all that standing water."
"It's not so much," Dave replied.
"Um, Look at that gushing little stream emptying into the gravel bar." I pointed out.
"Hmm, let me see where that is coming from." Dave said.
He headed off down the road, that was now full of water, and I started to pack up.
Not 5 minutes later, Dave came running back down the road and told me it was time to throw and go!
He let mom and dad know we needed to leave.  The main river on the left of us had overflown the banks in 3 places and was quickly filling the whole area with water.  The small stream on the right of us had also breached the banks and was filling the gravel bar we were on.  The road out was a running stream and the usually quiet little river was a mass of muddy running water and rapids.

So we packed up, got the wet dogs in the camper and headed home.  We had wonderful steaks and shrimp at home after we all dried off and got dry clothes on.

It all worked out well, we had a bit of an adventure and we were home all day Sunday so I could get the shopping done and make this treat.

I made this treat for a friend who was diagnosed with cancer and part of his treatment is to go sugar free.  I wanted him to see that sugar free didn't need to be "delicious treat free" and he seemed to enjoy it.  The really nice thing is this makes about 36 pieces so there was enough to share and some for home too!  Better than getting rained out over the weekend.

Peanut Butter Truffles or Sugar Free Buckeyes

1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup powdered swerve
2 cups defatted peanut butter flour, I use PB2
1/2 tsp salt
3 oz. chocolate, I use lily's dark
1 scant Tbsp. coconut oil
peanuts for top, optional

Line a large sheet tray with parchment paper.  Set aside.

In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt butter and peanut butter.  Add sweetener, peanut butter powder and salt.  Mix well until it is fully incorporated and a dough consistency.  Roll into 36 1 inch balls.  Place on prepared sheet pan and freeze for 1 hour or place in refrigerator for 3 hours or overnight.

In a heat safe bowl melt chocolate and coconut oil (I use a microwave but you can also use a double boiler).  Stick a toothpick in the top of the cold peanut butter ball.  Dip ball in chocolate and let excess drip back into the bowl, I like to tap is lightly and then gently scrape the excess off the bottom.  Place on sheet pan to harden.  Remove the toothpick gently and push the toothpick hole closed with your finger or top with a peanut.

1 year ago:    Spinach-Artichoke Pull Apart Rolls and the Last Camping Trip of the Season
3 years ago:   End of the Camping Season
5 years ago:   Blackberry Cobbler and Sand Art

August 12, 2019  Sunrise 5:27 am  Sunset 10:21 pm  Temp. H 67/ L 54˚F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.