Wednesday, September 23, 2020

New Cabinet and Tea Set and Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Cookie Sandwiches

These are over the top, just a bit.  Two peanut butter cookies sandwich a sweet peanut butter buttercream and then are dipped in chocolate.  But my brother deserved them.

I made a deal with my brother that if he brought my tea set from my mom's house I would bake cookies for him.  Well, he did and then really surprised me.

The tea set had been in my family for generations.  My grandpa chewed on the dragon horns when he was a baby and chewed some of them off.  My mom has been keeping it for me until I could bring them home with me.  I always figured I'd pack them up and carry them home, but it seemed like I never had room.  So, my brother brought them for me.





My grandpa chewed the horns off this one.

But then, as an added bonus, he brought my grandma's baking cabinet.  I remember this cabinet hanging in my grandma's kitchen.  It was above the kitchen table and where my grandma kept her recipes and ingredients for baking.  Because I'm the baker in the family, my mom said I could have it when she was ready to let it go.  I couldn't believe my brother brought it with him, that the glass didn't break on the airline and I can't believe it fit perfectly between the two kitchen windows, like it was made just for that space.  My brother put it up for me and so I owe him something pretty special.

I just have to add the drawer pulls to it.  What a special piece of my grandma I have in my kitchen now.

So I made lots of cookies and these were a little extra.  These soft peanut butter cookies with a crispy edge paired with creamy peanut butter filling and then, just a bit of chocolate to make it extra special.  These are a cookie worthy of my grandma's baking cabinet.








Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies

for the cookies:

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt

for the filling:
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted to remove lumps
1 tsp. vanilla extract
5-7 Tbsp. milk or cream, depending on consistency desired

for chocolate dip:
1 pkg. chocolate chips plus 2 tsp. shortening or coconut oil
or chocolate melting chocolate disks.

for cookies:
Beat butter, shortening, peanut butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla extract, mix well.
In a medium bowl, mix flour baking soda and salt.  Add to creamed mixture a spoon at a time until it is all mixed in.  Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.

Preheat oven to 375°F.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Roll dough into 1" balls, I use my smallest cookie scoop.  Make criss-cross pattern on each cookie with a fork.  Bake for 6-8 minutes.  Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes then move to cooling racks.

Meanwhile make filling:
Mix peanut butter and confectioner's sugar with vanilla extract.  Add milk until you reach the desired consistency. Spread or pipe filling on one cookie, firmly press second cookie on filling to make a sandwich.  Place cookies in freezer for 15 minutes.

While cookies are in freezer, melt chocolate.  Dip 1/2 of each cookie sandwich into melted chocolate.  Let excess drip back into bowl, slightly scraping the bottom cookie to remove extra.  Place on cookie sheets until chocolate is firm.  Enjoy.

1 year ago:    Keto Sugar Cookies for a Birthday
3 years ago:   Colorado Work Trip
7 years ago:   The Infamous Fish Stick Casserole and Lasagna Two Ways


September 23, 2020  Sunrise 7:32 am  Sunset 7:52 pm  Temp H 48/ L 38°F





1 comment:

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.