Friday, September 25, 2020

Loss of Truck Brakes and Blackberry Cobbler Drink of the Week

We were all watching the football game, our oldest son, my brother, my brother in law and we had ordered pizza for dinner.  I volunteered to run to pick it up at half time since I was the only one not drinking beer.  Little did I know I would be taking my life in my hands.  I am really thankful to be home in one piece.  Just a minute, I need to refill my
glass....

So, halftime came and I jumped in the truck to go pick up the pizzas.  It was a normal trip, I ground a few gears as I shifted, but I am getting much better at shifting this old truck.  I ran into the restaurant got the pizzas and was back in the truck in no time.  I pulled out of the parking lot and noticed I kind of rolled through the stop sign.  I really didn't think much about it, there was no traffic and I stopped, eventually.  I drove around the block to get back to the main road and hit a red light.  I hate hitting red lights in the truck because you have to come to a complete stop before you can shift down and lots of times the light has already changed and everyone behind you is waiting. 

Well, I hit the brakes and didn't stop.

At least not until I was dead center in the intersection.  Thank goodness I was the first at the intersection and no one was speeding through.  I shifted and pulled through, wondering what I had done wrong.  I had 4 more stop lights before I made it home and I needed to get this figured out.  The next stop light was coming up and it was red. I was driving really slow and I hit the brakes, nothing.  I pumped the brakes, nothing.  The light turned green and the line in front of me moved before I ever made it to the intersection, and I drove slowly through.  The same thing happened at the remaining 3 intersections (someone was sure watching out for me that day) and I made it to my neighborhood shaking but in one piece.

I was going really slowly, but when I got to our driveway I felt like I was going too fast and we had several extra cars in the driveway, I didn't want to wreck my truck.  So, I drove down the street, turned around at the end of the road and headed back.  I still felt uncomfortable pulling into the driveway so I pulled in front of my bother in law's truck...and didn't stop until I was sitting in front of the neighbor's driveway, blocking their cars. No problem, I backup up a little.  But it was a problem because the truck kept backing up and was getting closer and closer to my brother in law's truck, I just knew I was going to back into it.  Again, someone was watching out for me because I stopped just inches from making impact.  I grabbed the pizzas and wobbled into the house.

"Why didn't you park in the driveway?" Dave asked when I came through the door.

I burst into tears and told him the whole story. He went outside to check.  One of my brake lines has split and leaked all the brake fluid.  By the time I got to the restaurant, all the fluid had leaked out and I had no brakes left.

So, the truck is parked for the winter.  We will worry about brakes in the spring. And after I stopped crying I had a drink.  I needed it after that.

Blackberry Cobbler

6 blackberries
1 tsp. confectioner's Swerve, or several drops of stevia
dash of vanilla
2 oz. spiced rum
sparkling water, I used blackberry but lime would be good too

Place blackberries in a glass, add sweetener and vanilla.  Muddle the blackberries until completely crushed.  Add rum and top off with sparkling water, stir carefully.  Top with ice and enjoy.
Makes 1 drink


3 years ago:   Grain Free Pizza Crust


September 25, 2020  Sunrise 7:44 am  Sunset 7:38 pm  Temp. H 48/ L 37°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.