Monday, September 21, 2020

Keto chicken Pot Pie Soup


It is Fall in Fairbanks.  The leaves are all yellow and falling to the ground, we've had a frost overnight now, and it feels like fall.  I have to wear a jacket when I walk the dogs and I wait until the afternoon so it will warm up some.  Mooree doesn't like the new schedule, he starts whining about 10:30 when we used to go walk and acts all excited if I go to get a drink of water in the employee kitchen. (He really doesn't get this "work hours" thing).

We did the last of the yard work last week and so we are buttoned up for winter.  I'm not too happy about it, but it is what it is.
The view out my window, this was taken on August 26, foggy
but the trees are still green.

The view out my window, this was taken September 14.
Look how yellow that tree is.

Even Charles has started turning yellow.
Well, when it first turns cold I always crave soup.  I love soup and Dave doesn't so I make a big batch and eat it for my lunch for the week.  I also love chicken pot pie and have been craving it so I made chicken pot pie soup for my lunch this week.
I like to top mine with an almond flour biscuit.

Chicken Pot Pie Soup
I used carrots and corn, veggies I usually stay away from because of the carbs, but I really wanted that old-fashioned chicken pot pie flavor.  You can substitute or just leave those out.  It will change your total macros.

2 Tbsp. butter
1 small onion, diced
1 cup celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup corn*
1 cup sliced carrots**
2 cups green beans
1 whole chicken, cooked and shredded (I did one in my Instant Pot, but a rotisserie chicken would work)
6 cups chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp xanthan gum, optional

In a large stock pot, melt butter over medium high heat.  Add onion, celery and cook 3-5 minutes until onions become translucent.  Add garlic and stir for 1 minute until garlic is fragrant.  Add corn, carrots, green beans, chicken and chicken stock.  Simmer 10 minutes.  Add cream and xanthan gum, whisking in the xanthan gum completely.  Bring to simmer and serve.
makes 10-12 servings

* 1 cup of corn adds about 4 net carbs per serving (per 10 servings)
**1 cup sliced carrots adds about 1 net carb per serving (per10 servings)

1 year ago:   Sugar Free Sprinkles
3 years ago:  Pork Roast with Eggplant Mash
5 years ago:  Summer Vegetable Soup and the First Snow
7 years ago:  Hector the Proctor Goose and Rhubarb Meringue Bars

September 21, 2020  Sunrise 7:32 am  Sunset 7:52 pm  Temp. H 49/ L 44°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.